Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Way Of Life (New song from Lead Inc... :D)
First off I would like to say I loved the song.

Very groovy very melodic and though simple sounding it's actually very rich in complexity.

I decided to not mess with the bass time errors. It's gonna be one hell of a ride if I do that. I still think it sounds good.

There were some bad freq. in the cymbals.. some resonating freq. in the vocals.. and some bad fret noise in the bass.

My goal for this mix was to make everything sound as smooth as possible and make sure everything is clean sounding and audible.
I felt the delay guitars were the life of this song.. so I built around them..
Challenge I faced here was to make the vocal seat nicely in the mix.

UPDATE: MIX2
*more automation on delay guitars
*Doubled kick track on certain parts to prevent them from being buried.
*Less click on kick (-10db actually)
*minor volume changes to a few tracks.
*automated eq as well as some cutoffs and fadeouts in mastering process.
Overall is just polishing of the mix. Sure hope it sounds better than the first.

.mp3    WayOfLifeMIX.mp3 --  (Download: 14.12 MB)

.mp3    WayOfLifeMIX2.mp3 --  (Download: 14.01 MB)

I gotta get in on this track.

You're definitely on the right path, sir. I'll give you a more in depth analysis in a bit, but, generally, I think it's a really solid start.

Draper
(21-05-2016, 10:38 PM)loweche6 Wrote: I gotta get in on this track.

You're definitely on the right path, sir. I'll give you a more in depth analysis in a bit, but, generally, I think it's a really solid start.

Draper

Thanks for the feedback draper.

I have to say not a lot was changed on the final mix but hope you get the chance to listen to it.
I think this is a solid job Shul.. I have an issue with this provider's tracks because I've found them to be pre-processed and limits my control over the sonics. I'll be just observing on this one, I'd recommend bussing all vox through an 1176 as a general leveler that will autopilot most of it.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Hey Shul,
Sounds like a pretty solid mix ,
After having a listen can hear things I like and have to fix in my mix.
listening on headphones can hear a little too much low end on the kick and bass 40hz and below reducing will give your mix more headroom.
Also maybe a touch full in the low frequencies of the panned electric guitars below 200 which could be masking the bass and vocals a touch ?
Just some thoughts while listening .

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Very good mix!
Maybe, but just a little ... fatter and deeper bassdrum.
Guitar space is great.
Overall space is good.
Vocal need some air and your final mix is end :-)

The kick is a bit loud and pointy I think and hardly any bottom.
Pretty well balanced overall but that kick is just standing out too much.
There's pre-EQ on the tracks from the provider, not a fair starting point, I can hear the effects of the pre-eq on the gtrs in Shul's mix and I know Shul doesn't mix his gtrs to be so sharp.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
That is obviously what the band wanted that's why they committed in the tracking .
Its the same for everyone
(22-05-2016, 04:00 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: There's pre-EQ on the tracks from the provider, not a fair starting point, I can hear the effects of the pre-eq on the gtrs in Shul's mix and I know Shul doesn't mix his gtrs to be so sharp.

Thanks for the feedback DDL
I agree tracks were pretty processed. That's one of the reasons why this mix wass challenging for me.

And you are right. I don't usually have sharp guitars on my mixes. I actually lowered the sharpness on that delay guitar as it was poking out way too much. Also used peak compression on it to smooth it out.

Kick click was very prominent. I lowered it as well but couldn't do much without getting a muddy feel on it. Not sure if this was pretty eq'd but it sounded like it .

The cymbals had ringing freq. But I think this had to do with the room it was recorded in. You should still mix this.. Its still fun to do.