Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's in These Times Mix
Like others have noted, this one seemed straight forward enough but gave me all kinds of trouble. The mix below is kind of my "I give up" mix as I started to feel lost and my ability to judge things had gone away. I had trouble with the acoustic guitar not being in time with everything else. Mainly just in the beginning. I nudged the bass around as well to lock it in more with the drums. I killed the sleigh bells after the intro because they clashed with the strumming acoustic guitar. I used the Pogues song A Pair of Brown Eyes as a reference but fell way short of it. Oh I also took the stereo miked acoustic guitars and made them mono. Well that's that. Any suggestions for improvement are always welcome and I know this mix needs it!

Tim

.mp3    It\'s in These Times Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.87 MB)

I'll note that a couple of mixes here dropped the sleigh bells on the intro entirely.

That banjo is tough to handle, ain't it? Smile
I had to dig into an EQ and knock that upper note down a tad to get it to stop stabbing at me every time he hit it and that helped it blend with the mandolin a bit better.

Sounds like you too had trouble figuring out what to do with the tin whistle. It's a nice addition but it's sort of uninteresting most of the time and doesn't make you want to bring it up too high. Shame too because it's reasonably well played and a nice sound.

Overall, I don't think this is a bad mix. Might bring up the lead vocal a little bit towards the end to help him stay over the background vocals. I also notice you did fairly wide panning on them. I debated that but don't like to pan vocals past about a third either way but I guess that can work for background, especially if they're supposed to be more "crowd" type sounds. Man, every time I feel like I'm doing reasonably well and getting pretty decent sounding mixes, I get a multi-track like this one and just think to myself, "Who am I trying to kid? I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing." I'm sure others have felt the same. Wink
Old West Audio