Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
My mix of Cnoc An Tursa - Bannockburn
Hi guys,

Here is my mix.

I didn't use guitars DI tracks. Almost only EQ and compressors to achieve that sound.

Feel free to comment Smile

.mp3    Cnoc An Tursa - Bannockburn.mp3 --  (Download: 11.11 MB)

For me I think the snare needs some fader riding- sometimes it loses the balance with the kick drum when the beat changes. Otherwise good tho!
There is a lot of frequency overlap in the lower and upper mids - most noticeable at 200 hz, 1.2 khz, 2.4 khz and 3.4 khz. That's why the vocals don't really cut through your mix. You also forgot to make some room for the lead/melody guitars and all the synths - they are almost non-existent in your mix. You should carve some space out of your beefy rhythm guitars because as beefy as they sound they don't bring anything new to the table. And with an arrangement like this you really need some change because let's face it - those riffs get boring after a while.

The hihat has a really annoying fizzy sound around 11.6 khz, and there is also a lot of unneeded energy in the sub/lows, especially around 20-30 hz. If you would use highpass filters to get rid of that stuff you would have more headroom on the 2bus for compression/limiting. Speaking of limiting/mastering, a dynamic range of 5 is a bit too much nowadays, even with this style of music.

As Steel mentioned the snare is too loud in your mix, especially in the blast beats. you need to bring down the volume by at least 3-5 db in the normal parts and even more in the blast beats to make it sound more natural. there is no way a drummer can play blasts with the same energy like he does with a regular snare hit. One thing: If you use samples for the snare, you have to make sure the sample sounds cool on blast beats too. If that's not the case and the snare still sounds too "hard" even if you lower the volume, switch to a different sample for blasts. Right now the drums sounds like a drum machine, which negatively affects the quality of your mix. The snare just constantly jumps in my face, screaming "hello, hello, listen to me" to the listener.