Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Promises and Lies (Michael Franz/Apocalypse Studio Mix)
Hey Guys,

Today i mixed Promises and Lies, so i would love to get a feedback from you guys.

Note: The Song sounded from the beginning great, so i did not really much. Little bit Eq, Compression,FX and i replaced the Kick.

.mp3    Promises and Lies.mp3 --  (Download: 6.51 MB)

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum. I'm making these comments while I'm listening to the track now.

Overall you've got a solid sounding mix, the rhythm guitars and bass sound great especially, good work. Alot of my critiques with your mix really have more to do with the lead guitar and drums.

For my taste at least the lead guitar is missing something. It sounds clear and clean but it feels anti climactic, especially after the intro. Some reverb and delay or a doubler effect would really spice up those lead parts, more of an personal thing really.

The kick I'm finding is papery sounding, it's too modern of a sound for this style of track and lacks the low end thump. If you want some ideas check out "The Uninvited Guest" by Mercyful Fate, "Electric Eye" by Judas Priest, or "Master of Puppets" by Metallica. The snare and toms sound punchy and full but could use a touch more reverb, try using a plate style reverb with a 1.10 second decay set to a non linear/gated mode. If your reverb of choice doesn't have a non linear mode, use an 800 ms decay with more early reflections and less reverb tail.

Overall the mix is solid, clean, and well balanced, it just needs some ambiance to tie it all together.

Cheers,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hello milto

Its a good mix Smile

*snare toms and cymbals could be dropped a couple of db. I feel them poking out in different sections.

*I agree with dcp... Solo needs brightness to really stand out and pierce through the mix. At least as bright as the rhythm guitars.
*hihat seems to be a bit too loud after the solo.. Could be my headphones giving me this perspective.
Nope. Definitely think hihat should come down a bit.

Just minor tweaks. Great job. Love the end vocal delay. Smile
Thank you guys for the feedback,

I will go through the mix a second time. You gave me great ideas for processing the guitar solo. And the idea of Kick Drum like Electric Eye of Judas Priest is also a really good idea. And now i really notice that the Hi Hat is too loud.

Greetings