Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Promises and Lies Mixed by Dcp
This is a mix I've been tooling around with for the past couple of days and this is the revision I'm most happy with.

The drums are all the original samples that came with the track with some gating and compression on the kick and snare. The drum buss is just a Waves SSL Buss Comp with a 10 ms Attack, 100 ms Release, and 4:1 ratio and a soft clipper to give the drums some more bite.

I used a Tokyo Dawn Labs Nova Dynamic Eq to remove the resonate weirdness in the bass guitar, then ran it through a Waves CLA-2a and an SVT emulation in Guitar Rig 5 and used a sidechain to duck the bass a little (2-3 dB) when the kick hit.

The guitars pretty much are how they came, I used some minor subtractive EQ to remove some harshness above 10 kHz,everything below 100 Hz, and a small cut at 2.5 kHz. I used a doubler for some subtle thickness and Melda Productions autopanner and Waves H Delay on the solo guitar,

The vocals are hit hard with a Waves CLA-76 Bluey compressor, a soft clipper and some limiting. On the backup vocals and screams I used Waves CLA Vocals to colour them up and add some reverb and delay. On the main vocals I used H Delay and Rverb.

I've included a K12 master and a K14 master as I did for my last mix on here. The K12 master is more compressed and louder and the K14 master is more dynamic and quieter, both masters are eq wise pretty similar however.

Please leave your comments and critiques below and enjoy!

2017 Update: I forgot I even mixed this track and as a result never responded to anyone on it Blush. Anyhow, last week I upgraded my PC Setup and, after much procrastination, set up the studio desk I bought 2 years ago and got my studio monitors setup. All the mixes I've posted up to now have been mixed on a set of AKG K240 Headphones that I got at the same time as my monitors, my room is small and really didn't have the floor real estate to let me use the monitor stand I bought for them which forced me to work on headphones, so this will be the first mix I've done here on monitors.

.mp3    Promises and Lies Master 3.5 K12.mp3 --  (Download: 6.79 MB)

.mp3    Promises and Lies Master 3.5 K14.mp3 --  (Download: 6.75 MB)

.mp3    2017 Monitor Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.47 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hi dcp

*good balance
*solo in the begining had a bit too much reverb and delay for my taste.
*drums seat nicely in the back of the mix.. However some of the double kicks get masked. Perhaps a bit more kick volume. Or sidechain comp to bass.. It could improve it.
*I like the vocal treatment here. Its just the delay throughout the whole song that's a bit distracting to me.

Overall this is great, just minor tweaks and some are based on taste. Good job.
I loved the K14 mix, I can feel the impact from the dynamic range it has, thuogh it lacks a little more level in the solo guitar.
New Mix above
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6