Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Cool Song, Catchy
I liked this song, but I felt the supplied drum tracks were quite limiting, so I re-cut a lot of them on my Yamaha piano so I could mess around with them more. I think I was able to get more punch out of the whole mix that way.

I ran the bass track through two different amp modelers with some overdrive and panned to either side to give it some air. This, oddly enough, cleaned up the bass and allowed more "room" for the rest of the track, IMO. The bass by itself I felt was rather muddy.

I played around with the backing vocals quite a bit to get them where I wanted. I hope you like it. I do tend to mix vocals down into the mix. The radio voice is intentionally buried - to make you listen more closely. Constructive criticism is welcome.

.mp3    Avalon - All I Know.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

--Dean
djbckr -

Yeah...the kick sounds much better. Not sure I like the choice of snare, but it definitely is punchier! The bass certainly comes through a bit better as well. I think the vocals sound outstanding, but I think the 'radio vox' is maybe a little too low. Even listening critically and knowing the lyrics intimately (it was my vocal in there), I still have trouble understanding what's being said. With that said, the overall mix is great. I think you captured the spirit and feel of the song and presented it well.

Great job!

- Matt
Keyboards/Backing Vocals
Avalon