Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead Inc - The Dice (JM mix)
Hey hey, this is my third heavy track I've mixed, hoping to have learnt from previous ones but of course there's lot's the learn all the time Tongue

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice (V1).mp3 --  (Download: 11.34 MB)

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice (V2).mp3 --  (Download: 11.34 MB)

.mp3    Lead Inc - The Dice (V3).mp3 --  (Download: 11.25 MB)

Hi Justin,

This is sounding pretty good and balanced my end listening through headphones. I'm just missing the wide stereo guitar sound. Just a panning thing I guess. With the guitars up the middle I feel it's competing with the vocals a little bit. Good job so far.

Dave
(08-05-2016, 12:48 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi Justin,

This is sounding pretty good and balanced my end listening through headphones. I'm just missing the wide stereo guitar sound. Just a panning thing I guess. With the guitars up the middle I feel it's competing with the vocals a little bit. Good job so far.

Dave

Yeah man, I started with hell wide guitars but then I felt like nothing was in the middle haha but maybe I'm worrying about nothing Tongue I'll chuck another one up with wider guitars. Thanks for your feedback!
Just put up a new mix, guitars wider and vox a bit brighter Smile
V2 sounding much better. I'm not sure on your drum/master processing but I reckon you could bring some extra life into the snare and kick (punch and weight) either by increasing attack time on your exsisting drum comp or with some parallel comp on the snare and kick(if you haven't already done so). This will help the drums match the intensity of the guitars. I hope this helps.
Dave.
(09-05-2016, 01:00 PM)Dangerous Wrote: V2 sounding much better. I'm not sure on your drum/master processing but I reckon you could bring some extra life into the snare and kick (punch and weight) either by increasing attack time on your exsisting drum comp or with some parallel comp on the snare and kick(if you haven't already done so). This will help the drums match the intensity of the guitars. I hope this helps.
Dave.

Yeah i've got a parallel compressor with quick attack, routed kick in and snare top and bottom, can definitely push it more. Rekon i should add kick out too for weight?
Cheers Dave
(09-05-2016, 01:22 PM)justin.martins Wrote: Yeah i've got a parallel compressor with quick attack, routed kick in and snare top and bottom, can definitely push it more. Rekon i should add kick out too for weight?
Cheers Dave

Yeah, the snare that could do with some extra "Smack" also. You're not killing it with any master bus processing are you? Sounds like there's a compressor somewhere clamping down on it a bit. Not Sure?
(09-05-2016, 01:38 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(09-05-2016, 01:22 PM)justin.martins Wrote: Yeah i've got a parallel compressor with quick attack, routed kick in and snare top and bottom, can definitely push it more. Rekon i should add kick out too for weight?
Cheers Dave

Yeah, the snare that could do with some extra "Smack" also. You're not killing it with any master bus processing are you? Sounds like there's a compressor somewhere clamping down on it a bit. Not Sure?

Oh yeah its probably master chain! Got a touch of limiting over 3 inserts - PSPwarmer, Waves fairchild and L2, will muck around with that. Any tips for getting the snare to come out but keep that slight squash? Or forget limiting for now?
I don't think the limiter is the problem. How much gain reduction is on the fairchild? Try and have the peaks just tapping it. (1-2dB reduction). I would also try bypassing your plugs on the master to see if anything is the problem. You could try increasing the attack time on the parallel drum compressor. This could be the area to work on especially if you are pushing this bus. Just experiment a little and see what you find. It's not a big problem, I just think it will help the mix.