Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quicksand, Fish's mix/master
I may need some suggestions on how to get a near-perfect soundstage. Currently facing a bit of perspective block, so any form of help is appreciated!

Big Grin

pick the best mix/master, and give me suggestions on how to further improve on it!

(UPDATE: New track 005, and 010 added)

.mp3    TheTravellingBand - Quicksand .mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

.mp3    TheTravellingBand - Quicksand -002.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

.mp3    TheTravellingBand - Quicksand -005.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

.mp3    TheTravellingBand - Quicksand -010.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)

Polishing turds is not a type of business that you want to frequently do.
Hey Fish,
This is sounding pretty good and balanced. For me the reverb is just clouding the mix a bit. Really noticeable when the vocal is on it's own. High passing your reverb bus 300-600hz would get it sorted I reckon.
(03-05-2016, 01:57 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hey Fish,
This is sounding pretty good and balanced. For me the reverb is just clouding the mix a bit. Really noticeable when the vocal is on it's own. High passing your reverb bus 300-600hz would get it sorted I reckon.

Thanks. I'll sort it out when I have the time. you can expect a better soundstage the next time i update Big Grin

I've updated the main post. New track is 005. At first I tried redoing the gain stage but that made things worse as my perspective is dropping rapidly. So i've decided to keep with the old mix and master it again instead. So you can say that I've broken my promise, but meh Undecided
Hi Fish,

Having a listen to all mixes on different types of monitors including small laptop ,it's hard to tell which on I like as all sound pretty balanced but way too much reverb especially on the vocals as Dave already mentioned.
What I have learned from other more experienced mixers, is if I mute the reverb and it is noticeable it is usually too much, give it a try.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(07-05-2016, 09:48 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Fish,

Having a listen to all mixes on different types of monitors including small laptop ,it's hard to tell which on I like as all sound pretty balanced but way too much reverb especially on the vocals as Dave already mentioned.
What I have learned from other more experienced mixers, is if I mute the reverb and it is noticeable it is usually too much, give it a try.

Cheers Big Grin

I've added another new track, and really brought down the reverb tail and volume, as well as some other miscellaneous mix changes.
I hope the new track 010 has some improvement in terms of the amount of reverb Smile
Hey Fish,

Good balance of the instruments. Here's my 2 cents..... Personally I would like to hear the band louder as I feel a separation between the vocal and the band. I think it's almost there at the moment but maybe pull the vocal down a hair (or turn the band up a little). I would also add some EQ to the right panned guitar so it bites a little more. Something in the 2-3k range perhaps. Oh and I'm referring to the latest mix.

Tim

(07-05-2016, 09:48 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Fish,

Cheers Big Grin

(09-05-2016, 12:56 AM)j_ohnny Wrote: Hey Fish,

Good balance of the instruments. Here's my 2 cents..... Personally I would like to hear the band louder as I feel a separation between the vocal and the band. I think it's almost there at the moment but maybe pull the vocal down a hair (or turn the band up a little). I would also add some EQ to the right panned guitar so it bites a little more. Something in the 2-3k range perhaps. Oh and I'm referring to the latest mix.

Tim

New Track!

.mp3    TheTravellingBand - Quicksand -011.mp3 --  (Download: 5.99 MB)