Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lend me your ears!
Here you go. Love to hear some feedback and will visit your mixes in return.....
edit***added the latest mix to this post for convenience***

.m4a    The Travelling Band - Quicksand.m4a --  (Download: 5.04 MB)

.m4a    The Travelling Band - Quicksand 2 a guit treb up 1db.m4a --  (Download: 5.04 MB)

If you appreciate my feedback, please visit one of my mixes and give your thoughts.
Sounding pretty Good mingus, I just feel that may have lost some of the dynamics of that punchy drum beat somewhere. A compression decision on the master maybe? The only real standout for me is the vox is a little loud and floating. I think is needs some more comp to pull it into line. Maybe up the guitar solo a bit while your at it as well. Good Work.Smile
Thanks for the feedback, Dangerous.
If you appreciate my feedback, please visit one of my mixes and give your thoughts.
Hey Mingus,

I agree with the above comment that the vocals seem detached from the band. The band seems to be fairly distant compared to the vocal. Since there isn't a bunch of elements playing at the same time I think the instruments can come up and would bring in some energy. (of course I may have gone too far on my own version......Big Grin).

Tim

Thanks both of you guys. I will open this up again and see what happens. It always fascinates me how you can listen to a mix and think it is great, then come back to it a few days later and hear all the mistakes.
went back to this. Put some punch and smash back in the snare and brightened the kick to cut through. Pulled the lead vox back a bit to settle into the mix more. Comments?

.m4a    The Travelling Band - Quicksand 2.m4a --  (Download: 5.05 MB)

Hey mingus, Listening with headphones, I think you have made a great improvement with version 2. You seem to have addressed the issues apparent in mix 1 without over cooking it. The band has come forward in this mix and marries in with the vox nicely. The kick is much improved also. Is the snare now a bit hot? Through the laptop speakers it pokes out a little (A taste thing I guess). I was also going to suggest maybe brightening up the snare, but it might take away from that nice rounded sound you have achieved overall.
Great workSmile

Dave
(26-07-2016, 09:14 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Hey mingus, Listening with headphones, I think you have made a great improvement with version 2. You seem to have addressed the issues apparent in mix 1 without over cooking it. The band has come forward in this mix and marries in with the vox nicely. The kick is much improved also. Is the snare now a bit hot? Through the laptop speakers it pokes out a little (A taste thing I guess). I was also going to suggest maybe brightening up the snare, but it might take away from that nice rounded sound you have achieved overall.
Great workSmile

Dave

Dave, thanks a lot. he snare just may be a little much. I will live with it a while , then have a listen. I like to check mixes on my phone and it sure bangs on that. Thanks again for your input!
I really like what you did with the intro here, that was inspired! As for the rest, the snare is a bit loud for my liking, and the guitars are a little quiet and narrow, but thats just my personal taste. I actually quite like the sparse vibe that your mix has.
Brad, Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it!....maybe a little tilt eq to pull up the guits would add enough without pushing the whole thing over. I'll see if I have some time tonight. Got a 4-year-old daughter so time is rare.