Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drums drums drums
I wish I were better at mixing drums. The floor tom and kick here are the main instruments of the song, and I don't think I nailed it. I sure tried though :-)

There was a tom sound in my head though that I just couldn't reach. But damn did I process the sh*t out of that floor tom. Expander, then clipper, then EQ (Pultec style - boost and attenuate at the same time, to make a resonant peak at the crossover), then an exciter set to 100hz and cranked, then EQ with a high pass at 60 and a narrow band cut at 60, then a compressor (slow attack fast release to trim off the resonance), then another compressor side-chained against the kick, and ANOTHER EQ!! with four bands of cuts. What the hell am I thinking?

Anyway, it's not bad, and it's better than the alternatives I tried. I also tried looping the best bar of the toms with just the right accent pattern, but abandoned that when it started to sound robotic. At least I learned how to make loops in Reaper.

Also there were spots in the song where I felt that early or late hits on the drums didn't really drive the rhythm properly. What do you do when room, overhead, and close mics all need to be nudged to place a hit on beat? That stymied me. Any tips?

The vocals were tough too, but I think I found an EQ range that fits him, and the song. I think.

I'm aiming for a combination of Alice in Chains and Corrosion of Conformity, so I drove the mastering compressor pretty hard, for a final RMS of around -5.5

Thoughts?

/ Also, I apparently love overdrive on bass guitar :-)

// "Need more meat to feed this beast, not as much as she could eat and feast"? WTH?

.mp3    Take it off_master1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)