Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SixString Mix
Hi there!
This is my first attempt to mix and post it in any forum, jumped of joy when i found this site last night.

Time to get humbled, what's your verdict? Blush

.mp3    Immaculate_SixString.mp3 --  (Download: 11.37 MB)

.mp3    Immaculate_SixString_2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.69 MB)

hi six strings
i like the vocal all the way to the last part,there it need more volume.
i think the drums need more power , i want with more piano then ac gtr it feels beter with the drums for me in my mix. take a listen to mine and hear the drums .
let me know what you think Smile
Thank you uzeilevi for you input, i like the sound you got going with the kick drum but your snare sounds a bit to dark to my ears. Maybe you're right about that the energy in the drums in my mix are a bit to low but i went with the feel i got from the drummer, not hard hitting.
About the piano, again maybe you're on to something but i'm not sure Wink I tried with more piano but found it hard to fit to my liking, i'll look it over again and maybe give the piano a db or two.

When i now listen to my mix mix with rested ears i wonder if it's lacking some bottom or low mids, what do (all of) you think?
Even if this is my first post i would really love some feedback, i don't mind if it's harsh Wink I'm here to learn.
hi sixstrings
i jast want to say there are things that some one tell you that you have to listen like the vocal on the last part ,this is Elementary and not Negotiable Smile))
but if some one say to you that he dont like the third tree on the left in your painting (thet meaning the drums) leave it alone Smile)))))))))
you diside what is meaningfull to you and by that,what you take and larn will go with you ,and what you laft dont. its up to you to decide what is what.
I read what you said about the vocals at the end and you are spot on but i forgot to comment it in my last post.

Ok here it goes, a new mix and i have listened to everything you said Smile
Thanks, guys,

for tackling this song. My initial reaction to it was "Huh...?" Now, with two distinct versions of it in place, it starts to make sense to me.

While I cannot say anything very specific at this point, I very much like to hear what you did here, SixString. I am glad you shared your mixes!

Marc
What i did? I Stumbled and fumbled Wink First off, i liked the feel of the song even if it's a bit off tempo wise.

I mix only on computer on this, Logic Pro 9 Waves and UAD-1 plugs. Waves SSL-Channel on almost every channel since i like the sound and i have gotten some kind of used to them, and i also prefer to mix with my ears and not my eyes as i tend to do if i use a graphic eq. I'm not saying that my ears are any good at it Wink

I struggled a bit with the kick until i found the sound i was looking for in the room track, on the kick i use SSL-channel, low cut at 50 Hz and a slight boost at 80 Hz, a little gate. I also use the 1176LN comp to get some punch and control of the signal. Here i don't want to much klick, only as much to hear it in the mix without boosting the level to much.

Same setup on the snare, a little boost at 300 Hz and quite a cut at 450 Hz a little boost at 1.7 and 8 Khz. Some RVerb plate.

Same setup on the toms, gated a bit and boosted top and bottom in them. 1176LN comp.

Overhead SSL again a slight boost at 80Hz 3 and 8 Khz, a tiny bit comp from the SSL. Panned -53/+53

On the Drum room i only used the 1176LN comp and squeezed it together with quite fast attack and release.

Bass-Di i inserted an amp sim from wabes GTR and again the 1176LN comp

On the acoustics i used the SSL-Chan and waves Q8 eq since i heard some annoying (to me) sounds. I cut hard and narrow at 160Hz since i heard/felt some rumbling in the left acoustic.
The right i used the same approach since i heard the same in a open chord loose string 440Hz.
Panned -27/+27

E-guitar, SSL Channel again Smile Waves GTR and a delay stomp. Panned Center

Piano, do need the spell it? Wink SSL slightly boosted from 800Hz and up...kinda..and some reverb, Waves Rverb, high passed at 300Hz and cut above 4K. Panned -23/+23

Vox Female/Male DeEsser, SSL and UAD LA-2A comp. Panned-5/+5 some automation. Some vocalplate verb DeEssed and lowcut.

On the Master bus i use Logic's Multipressor and Waves L3.

I was looking for something separated and not muffled and struggling, lacking other words Smile
Kinda thinking of Sting (Mercury falling) even though i don't have the skills to take it there. Smile