Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mixing Newb
I have been running sound for my church for years. Here is my first shot at mixing a song. I have always wanted to mix for recordings. This is the first time I have mixed a full recording. I have messed around a bit before but never really put it all together. I used Adobe Audition with no plugins just the dynamics and effects in the program. Would love to hear what you think. Any advice is welcome.

.mp3    Immaculate_final.mp3 --  (Download: 6.88 MB)

(26-04-2016, 04:39 AM)hixrat Wrote: I have been running sound for my church for years. Here is my first shot at mixing a song. I have always wanted to mix for recordings. This is the first time I have mixed a full recording. I have messed around a bit before but never really put it all together. I used Adobe Audition with no plugins just the dynamics and effects in the program. Would love to hear what you think. Any advice is welcome.

This has a great balance imo, I am slightly familiar with the program so what you did with it is amazing. The song gets a bit empty due to the heaving panning. Look to invest in a software that affords you a bit more dynamic processing and effects tools. Other than that you know what you are doing just keep putting the time in and you will see the fruits of your labor.
Thanks. Looking back I did get a little pan crazy. I really wanted to create space. I feel that music today trades space for maximum volume and thus eq is used more heavily. I think the next time I mix a song I am going to keep everything centered until I am done processing and using EQ and then pan slightly.
(26-04-2016, 02:57 PM)hixrat Wrote: Thanks. Looking back I did get a little pan crazy. I really wanted to create space. I feel that music today trades space for maximum volume and thus eq is used more heavily. I think the next time I mix a song I am going to keep everything centered until I am done processing and using EQ and then pan slightly.

Try mixing in Mono, this will allow you to use eq to create that space that you were looking to achieve. Then you can put your mix back into stereo and use a bit less pan. I agree with your comment about maximum volume but be sure to focus on depth first. There are a lot of ways to achieve loudness but depth and space are much harder to achieve. I definitely look forward hearing your next mix.