Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Good Time Dangerous Style
I think I've done ok with this one. A hot electric blues style of tune that I do personally enjoy listening to and playing. Although I loved working with the guitars on this one, the arrangement was my biggest issue. Trying to get a stereo sound that was somewhat balanced was a real challenge. Perhaps some editing of the first guitar part to make up a stereo double may have helped, but with the other guitar parts going on, my worry was it may have become some what congested doing this. Being a guitarist myself I have made this song all about the guitars and spent the most time mixing these in. As for the remainder of the tracks. The vocal is nice and fell into place with no real effort. I dirtied up the hammond part a fair bit to give it some sonic space within the song. With how I placed the guitars it really didn't leave a lot of room for it. The drums were left pretty much as they were with some transient shaping here and there and the normal fader moves.

Another great track to work with from the Library.

.mp3    LouisCressyBand_GoodTime_Dangerous.mp3 --  (Download: 10.91 MB)

.mp3    LouisCressyBand_GoodTime_Dangerous#3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.91 MB)

Dave,
I like how you treated the guitar parts, but I think you have lost the lead vocal to them at times.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thanks for the listen,

I reckon your right. Guitars, guitars and more guitars! That would be the guitarist in me. I will have to automate them a little more around the vocals.
Thanks for the advise.

I would be quite happy with this mix. Great sounds and separation. You could put Waves Center on the guit bus and automate down the center a bit if you need more room for the vox. Sounds finished to me, though. Interested to know about your master bus/mastering.
If you appreciate my feedback, please visit one of my mixes and give your thoughts.
(01-05-2016, 06:34 AM)mingus Wrote: I would be quite happy with this mix. Great sounds and separation. You could put Waves Center on the guit bus and automate down the center a bit if you need more room for the vox. Sounds finished to me, though. Interested to know about your master bus/mastering.

Any of the Wave plugins would be nice. I'm just running stock Reaper plugs and some freebees. Don't do too much on the master, some slight eq with Slickeq, a little transformer saturation (Variety Of Sound) and a 1-3dB hit with the compressor, low ratio fast release. Finally a limiter, 2dB knock down at the most to bring the volume up. I may get some fancy plugins one day, but for the moment I've flat out learning what I've got and for that matter pretty happy with them.

Thanks for checking out the mix.
Dave.

Yeah love the guitars man, might just need some volume automation to help vocals in verse but damn I'm definitely using this to help with my mix! Really like how everything sits in the space
(08-05-2016, 05:03 PM)justin.martins Wrote: Yeah love the guitars man, might just need some volume automation to help vocals in verse but damn I'm definitely using this to help with my mix! Really like how everything sits in the space

Thanks Justin,
I need to revisit this one and lift the vocals around the guitar parts a little. I think the kick and bass needs some more balancing also. Kick is sounding too strong, especially in the intro.

Just added Version #2. I have scooped the guitars out @ around 2.5k for some extra vocal room. Also did some syllable automation to the vocal track. I trimmed the bass and kick back a bit while I was at it.
Hi Dave!
For me, that's very interesting oldschool version!
Maybe I'd like to hear more brightness in solo. Maybe he didn't deserveBig Grin
Well Done!
(13-05-2016, 12:57 AM)Konek Wrote: Hi Dave!
For me, that's very interesting oldschool version!
Maybe I'd like to hear more brightness in solo. Maybe he didn't deserveBig Grin
Well Done!

Thanks Konek,

I was thinking the same thing listening thismorning. Since I scooped out the guitar, the solo's have lost a bit. Will have to automate the eq throughout the song. I think the vox may be a little hot also.

Cheers.