Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rothko mixed by BassTooth
my attempt at a mix of TheWrongUns - Rothko

I wanted to make this mix more "Psychedelic" but I didn't have much time. Anyways, give it a listen, tell me what you think.Big Grin

Mixed in Ableton Live

.mp3    The WrongUns - Rothko(BassTooth mix).mp3 --  (Download: 6.05 MB)

Greetings and welcome!

You have a fairly good start for your first mix, but if I may make a few suggestions to help you with some common mix problems:

The bass is very quiet in a lot of places, and is well under the level of the kick. In general these two elements should carry the lower end of the frequency spectrum. It could be that the kick is mixed too loud and so is masking the bass energy in the track. See how you go with reducing the volume of the kick before trying to raise the level of the bass.
If you do raise the bass level you might find you have to carve out room for the kick - I can hear a lot of very low end thump in the kick drum which may get lost if you raise all bass frequencies equally.
If you find that the bass is still getting lost in places, use a compressor - with suitable makeup gain - to help even out the energy across the range of notes being played.

Oh, a tip for a good 'psychedelic' guitar sound is to mix in flanging or phasing with the delay/reverb.

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
awesome, yes I'll give it another listen and remix it. I always have a lot of trouble mixing the bass with the kick. I think what I did was not roll off the very sub freqs in the kick and then went on and actually low shelfed the kick making it even subbyier. now my kick is huge and thumpy and it killed the bass... also, I did this mix on headphones, which was my first mistake.

(07-05-2013, 12:17 AM)Dags Wrote: Greetings and welcome!

You have a fairly good start for your first mix, but if I may make a few suggestions to help you with some common mix problems:

The bass is very quiet in a lot of places, and is well under the level of the kick. In general these two elements should carry the lower end of the frequency spectrum. It could be that the kick is mixed too loud and so is masking the bass energy in the track. See how you go with reducing the volume of the kick before trying to raise the level of the bass.
If you do raise the bass level you might find you have to carve out room for the kick - I can hear a lot of very low end thump in the kick drum which may get lost if you raise all bass frequencies equally.
If you find that the bass is still getting lost in places, use a compressor - with suitable makeup gain - to help even out the energy across the range of notes being played.

Oh, a tip for a good 'psychedelic' guitar sound is to mix in flanging or phasing with the delay/reverb.

Dags