Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sirens
I worked hard to find an ethereal vibe while allowing the song to develop tension and create powerful crescendos. Lots of spacious reverbs here, drawn in and back out where needed. I like the original arrangement, even if it draws out sections almost *too* repetitively, so I left it as is. I was tempted to snip out two or three of the builds before the solo, but decided in the end that it added to the overall drama. Like Pink Floyd music, the listener needs to be patient and let the song draw you along.

The lead vocal line seemed to lose articulation here and there, so I sent it to a bus, tightly bandpassed and compressed it hard, then added some tube saturation and mixed it under the primary vocal line. A couple layers of compression on the primary vocal, and volume automation also helped.

The Hammond section at the end for some reason had the solo guitar's reverb mixed into it, so I eliminated that, and built a new Hammond part out of earlier sections, while sending the dry solo to a similar large hall 'verb. The challenge there was that the song's tempo changed, so I had to time stretch the keyboard parts to keep up.

Mastering was very restrained: a clipper first to handle a few stray peaks, then Tokyo Dawn's SlickEQ adding hair of saturation and a touch of shelf at either end of the spectrum, then a limiter bringing the gain up and maxing out at about 2db of reduction at the crescendos.

Thanks for listening

- D

.mp3    Sirens_master1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.18 MB)