Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cnoc An Tursa - Bannockburn (JCP Mix and Master 2016)
Hi Guys,

I decided to give this one a go as it's way out of my comfort zone. I tried to keep the overall feel as true to the black metal sound as possible, while also trying to balance that with some more modern polish.

Given how well the track was already recorded, it definitely made mixing this one a whole lot easier. I did choose to sample replace the kick and the snare, although I did this using actual hits from the drum tracks. I created about 10 samples each of both the kick and the snare then used APTrigga 3 to replace the main kick and top snare tracks. This way I could maintain the sound of the original recording, have better control over the drum dynamics without getting the typical triggered machine gun sound, and minimise how much bleed I had to work with.

I found the vocal tracks particularly difficult to work with on this one. They sounded almost as if they had already been through some overzealous hardware compression, and so I found them to have a slight pumping quality to them. I could be wrong, but to me they don't sound completely clean on the original stem.

Finally, I chose not to push the master all the way to breaking point on this one. I experimented with more modern sounding masters, but it just didn't feel appropriate for the genre.

Feel free to be brutally honest. Cheers guys!

.mp3    Cnoc An Tursa - Bannockburn (JCP Mix and Master 2016).mp3 --  (Download: 11.11 MB)

Where are the guitars?
I think the guitars are quite present on this, although, listening back after mixing this a few days ago, I would definitely bring the lead lines up in the mix. I did create ambient type drones using the DI's of some of the lead lines, and at times these overpower the lead lines. I might have to give this track another go, I think.