Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ambitions - AZ Mix
Okay, so here's my version of this tune.

This looked like it'd be a pretty straightforward mix at first but looks can be deceiving!

Major issues...

Drums were generally well captured but the drummer was playing too lightly most of the time. That made it hard to get a satisfying drum mix. (I also *REALLY* hate having to chop cymbal hits and drag them around. So much can go wrong when you do that...)

The vocalist has some habits that are unfriendly to mixing and are not well handled by Melodyne without generating other artifacts. That made it very hard to get him to blend well and sound good. I ultimately settled on a 50ms delay with a good deal of feedback to help smooth things out and a 1.5 sec plate reverb to help it sit well. After a bit of EQ treatment of the vocal and the effects, I think it worked reasonably well but could still be better. (Oh, and unlike my typical setup, I fed the vocal's delay into the reverb processor as well with -3db on the send knob.)

I always seem to have difficulty with bass management. For whatever reason, I have trouble getting compressors to do a decent job on bass without having to follow it up with drastic EQ adjustments. Such was the case here and it made it a challenge to get the right bass tone and still have good weight. I felt that a great deal of low end here was counter productive so left it just enough to give it appropriate force.

I thought about doing a vocal double in some spots for effect but I wasn't able to get something that I was pleased with in the time I was able to alot to this so elected to skip it.

Critiques and suggestions very welcome.

.mp3    ambitions-mix.mp3 --  (Download: 11.94 MB)

Old West Audio