Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Graham (A REAL CHALLENGE?)
Hey Shul, Nice mix...enjoyed it a lot. Helluva challenge getting this one knocked into shape and you've done a sterling job. Drums are nice and punchy, guitar has nice bite and vox sit well and you've got all those crash cymbals behaving too.

My only real criticism of your mix is that to my ears the overall tonality seems a little thin. This may well be a preference thing and depends on how you referenced your material and your listening environment - vs my preferences, references and listening environment so take with a pinch of salt.

In terms of solutions it could be that your guitars need a bit more warmth (if your hpf is a smidge high), or the bass needs a level boost or maybe even the cymbal level needs to come down----or simply some pultec low end warmth on the master buss.

All that said, i think the mix works as it is and by the end of of it I'm used to the tonality so its probably a marginal call.

Cheers, Simon

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(15-04-2016, 02:24 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: My only real criticism of your mix is that to my ears the overall tonality seems a little thin. This may well be a preference thing and depends on how you referenced your material and your listening environment - vs my preferences, references and listening environment so take with a pinch of salt.

In terms of solutions it could be that your guitars need a bit more warmth (if your hpf is a smidge high), or the bass needs a level boost or maybe even the cymbal level needs to come down----or simply some pultec low end warmth on the master buss.

All that said, i think the mix works as it is and by the end of of it I'm used to the tonality so its probably a marginal call.

Cheers, Simon

Actually I agree the low end doesn't really reach enough punch. The bass is the one filling up for that. I'll see what I can do. I was focused on clarity on this song so maybe I got carried away a bit.

I didn't use a reference track. I normally don't. I listen to the tracks first , balance them, and then I dicide what it needs, what it lacks, what over exceeds etc. To not chance the bands sound so much.

Thanks for the feedback ☺

I listened version FourGrahamM1.mp3 : I wasn’t sure if it was the latest

Great mix, I like it.

i like the fact that you have payed attention to cymbals. They create nicely accent moments in your mix.

Snare has a funny double effect during the solo. Otherwise I have nothing to complain.
Listening through headphones as usual, nice mix but the only thing I missing is the emotions that delays and reverb can bring you the table Smile good mix though.
(19-04-2016, 12:56 PM)Olli H Wrote: I listened version FourGrahamM1.mp3 : I wasn’t sure if it was the latest

Great mix, I like it.

i like the fact that you have payed attention to cymbals. They create nicely accent moments in your mix.

Snare has a funny double effect during the solo. Otherwise I have nothing to complain.

Thanks for the feedback.

I doubled the snare to get a flam there.. One snare hit soubdedso empty.
(18-05-2016, 05:55 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Listening through headphones as usual, nice mix but the only thing I missing is the emotions that delays and reverb can bring you the table Smile good mix though.

Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't use delay on vocals cause there were very busy on the lyrics plus the rythm guitars are also very busy. A modarate level delay sounded too distracting at that moment. I will give it a shot next time around. Thanks Smile)
Hey man, the mix sounds really nice on my system. Nothing stuck out to me, and it sounded like a song (I know that could sound like a flip comment, but I don't intend it to be).

Really nice work. Now I have to jump in to this track at some point. . .

Draper
(20-05-2016, 03:19 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey man, the mix sounds really nice on my system. Nothing stuck out to me, and it sounded like a song (I know that could sound like a flip comment, but I don't intend it to be).

Really nice work. Now I have to jump in to this track at some point. . .

Draper

Thanks for the feedback draper.
Go for it, it really is fun to mix. Smile
Didn't read any other post
I like the mix and the balance of things . Here are a few things I'm hearing tho. The low end needs brought some on the kic and bass.
The snare feels like a sample was added which has a upper mid freq that could be notch out a little and maybe a little more 200 added for body.
Just some small tweaks .
Nice job!
I think this mix is heading in the right direction!

Here are some things I noticed in the second mix:

- I don't think the delay in the beginning works (no narrating direction)
- solo guitars are a little thin and sound mechanic
- background singers 1:30 are too silent, I fin them more important
- choir in the end is buried in the mix, maybe mute them or find another solution