Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember December: C U Next Time (M&F)
Everyone brought their "A" game to this one.. so shall I... shout out to CLA for making this forum song something special!

(update: I expect to reprint soon with the upgraded workstation).

.mp3    Remember December XQR2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.69 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Hey DDL

*Like the Vocal Eq.
*Balance is solid
*Interesting delay on the vocal at 2:46
*I like your drum sound.
*That reverb choice on the snare is giving me a weird feel.
*That ride has some type of delay. It sounds weird in a bad way. Did you put some sort of delay in it??
*Guitars are rather weird sounding yet again LOL. Micro-shifter?
*Overall I think you got the balance and separation on point.. but I honestly in my most humble opinion, will say your overall sound sounds over processed.

All in all not bad, I just wish your fx processing wasn't too much. I Heard your banda magda mix of mouche a while ago. Loved how subtle you were with the processing.

(12-04-2016, 05:43 AM)Shul Wrote: Hey DDL

*Like the Vocal Eq.
*Balance is solid
*Interesting delay on the vocal at 2:46
*I like your drum sound.
*That reverb choice on the snare is giving me a weird feel.
*That ride has some type of delay. It sounds weird in a bad way. Did you put some sort of delay in it??
*Guitars are rather weird sounding yet again LOL. Micro-shifter?
*Overall I think you got the balance and separation on point.. but I honestly in my most humble opinion, will say your overall sound sounds over processed.

All in all not bad, I just wish your fx processing wasn't too much. I Heard your banda magda mix of mouche a while ago. Loved how subtle you were with the processing.

Hey Shul, the vocal at 2:46 seemed to call for something "else" to happen there by that point of the vocal delivery of the song.. went on feel.

Snare verb is to make as fat as possible in the mix since versions so far of the song posted seem to be snare heavy.. I attended a rock show recently with a killer sound system and there was a drummer that performed who kit sounded like he was trying to crack open the earth.. so this snare verb choice looks to recreate that rock show sound.

There's no delay on the ride.. but there's some serious drum mixing voodoo going on and perhaps the rides in the different tracks are imaging a certain way.. depending on how these kind of things crop up, sometimes the mixing quirks are what can give a mix its character.

On this, there is a parallel compressor buss for the Gtrs sends with a PSP Vintage Warmer 2 at +3 followed by the AIR Stereo Width plugin.. to give a fat wider sound stage "behind" the actual gtr tracks.

Overprocessed = color - want the mix to have a sound of excitement, an in-your-face kind of presentation, and to deliver that requires some edgy pushes to the sound envelope... many mix decisions on this song was by feel and grabbing whatever tool at the moment determined to deliver how I heard the song in my mind at the moment of mixing.. I do remember placing a bit of Microshift on the vocal part ending at 2:46 and there may be some patched in on at least one direct gtr part..

Mix decisions are recommended to be a diverse strategy dependant from song to song.. the mixer should be able to imagine the mixed version of a song in his/her mind while listening to the unmixed reference, and like an artist with a paintbrush, determine how the current picture of a song will stand on its own as "art" that differs from the last song painting.. As every song is different with style genre similarities, so should be the sound that accompany them.

A sound that works for one song may or may not work for another.. that of course is at the mixer creative discretion (within a client expectation of deliverable).
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.