Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember December - C U Next Time (SyafiqMix)
I hope you guys will enjoy this track as much as i did and would take any constructive critism! and i heard Chris Lord-Alge made a mix in this sweet track. My most idolize mixing engineer! im a really big fan of his work and i would really wanted to work with him some day. But obviously, that wouldn't happen in a million years (lol). Again hope you guys enjoy it!

UPDATE:
I've deleted the previous track and uploaded a new version.
Made some adjustments to the low end as being advised.

UPDATE:
I've upload a new version again, and i fixed the kick sample. And i did some re-adjustments to the mix level ,with a reference track. I hope its good, but please tell me if theres anything wrong with it that i didn't notice. Thanks Shul!

.mp3    Remember December - C U Next Time.mp3 --  (Download: 8.54 MB)

.mp3    Remember December - C U Next Time (V2).mp3 --  (Download: 8.54 MB)

Hello syafiq

Few observations.

*there is a large amount of low end in your mix. Coming from both bass and kick.
*reverb on kick is not helping.
*reverb overall is building up too much, could be another cause of the large amount of lows.
*balance is actually pretty good.

I would say getting rid of the low end will make your mix a good mix.

Personally that "CLA" mix is good as a reference. Is not CLA himself though. That is a bad mix for someone of that caliber. Too loud and no dynamics whatsoever.

Anyways, keep it up. This sound like its gonna turn out really good.
(11-04-2016, 11:55 PM)Shul Wrote: Hello syafiq

Few observations.

*there is a large amount of low end in your mix. Coming from both bass and kick.
*reverb on kick is not helping.
*reverb overall is building up too much, could be another cause of the large amount of lows.
*balance is actually pretty good.

I would say getting rid of the low end will make your mix a good mix.

Personally that "CLA" mix is good as a reference. Is not CLA himself though. That is a bad mix for someone of that caliber. Too loud and no dynamics whatsoever.

Anyways, keep it up. This sound like its gonna turn out really good.

Thanks Shul! yea, actually i notice there was a reverb on the kick after i rendered the track and just realized i forgot to eliminate the room mics from ezdrummer. And yes i did replaced the kick with ezdrummer. sorry for my english, a bit tired these few days lol. Anyways, let me know if theres anything that you notice that i dont. By the way, i didn't notice the track was having a low end problem till you told me haha. Thanks man!
(11-04-2016, 11:55 PM)Shul Wrote: Is not CLA himself though. That is a bad mix for someone of that caliber. Too loud and no dynamics whatsoever.

The post would have been deleted after this much time if it wasn't verified by the admin that it's an authentic post, to preserve the educational integrity of the forum.

In law, this would be a serious liability because if CLA didn't make the post, then he can request a takedown for improper use of his trade and service marks (CLA) and the mix representation as shedding a false light on his reputation.. standard legal protections taken by individuals with market brand name recognition (plugins, service provider etc).

After dealing with the song myself and then listening to the CLA mix again and the consistency of how the snare hits.. its him..

What's so mystical about the belief of it not being him? He's an engineer like everyone else.

If Bruce Swedien can post on Gearslutz (God of audio engineering) then anyone below his stature surely can Smile
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(12-04-2016, 08:35 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote:
(11-04-2016, 11:55 PM)Shul Wrote: Is not CLA himself though. That is a bad mix for someone of that caliber. Too loud and no dynamics whatsoever.

The post would have been deleted after this much time if it wasn't verified by the admin that it's an authentic post, to preserve the educational integrity of the forum.

After dealing with the song myself and then listening to the CLA mix again and the consistency of how the snare hits.. its him..

What's so mystical about the belief of it not being him? He's an engineer like everyone else.

Well, in that case if thats really him, i'd say he doesn't have his mojo while mixing this track. Even so that he is one of my inspiration. But you do have a point on him for being an engineer and like humans do, they make mistakes.

(12-04-2016, 09:08 PM)SyafiqEffandyKK Wrote:
(12-04-2016, 08:35 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote:

Well, in that case if thats really him, i'd say he doesn't have his mojo while mixing this track. Even so that he is one of my inspiration. But you do have a point on him for being an engineer and like humans do, they make mistakes.

I'm curious, because I've worked with this song also, what is it about the CLA MP3 posting of the mix that you feel would (or could) have been done differently. I personally threw a bunch of expensive "stuff" at this song and I feel the tone and presence of what was posted in the CLA post screams "quality gear".. the notes in the post match the mix IMO.. and have you had a chance to listen to other unmastered CLA mixes before? For reference, he's done these kinds of mixes from time to time:

http://www.waves.com/mixing-the-2012-cla...on-winners

Here's a current one:

http://www.musicconnection.com/lord-alge...ns-to-mix/

He only likely spent 30 mins on this song.. I hear a lot of mastering ready mixes on this forum and see guys end up chasing audio unicorns.. (in theory) the more time on a mix the worse it gets, see this article:
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2014/0...look-back/

CLA is "the man" but also "a man" Smile
(12-04-2016, 08:12 PM)SyafiqEffandyKK Wrote: Thanks Shul! yea, actually i notice there was a reverb on the kick after i rendered the track and just realized i forgot to eliminate the room mics from ezdrummer. And yes i did replaced the kick with ezdrummer. sorry for my english, a bit tired these few days lol. Anyways, let me know if theres anything that you notice that i dont. By the way, i didn't notice the track was having a low end problem till you told me haha. Thanks man!

Awesome. Everything is sounding really good to me except for the kick. You should try another sample on it.. or use a shelf eq from 100 and below and drop it about 6 db.

That's about the only thing bugging me in your mix. Good Job!
(12-04-2016, 09:26 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: I'm curious, because I've worked with this song also, what is it about the CLA MP3 posting of the mix that you feel would (or could) have been done differently. I personally threw a bunch of expensive "stuff" at this song and I feel the tone and presence of what was posted in the CLA post screams "quality gear".. the notes in the post match the mix IMO.. and have you had a chance to listen to other unmastered CLA mixes before? For reference, he's done these kinds of mixes from time to time:

I left you a picture so you can see for your self.
"CLA" mix of See You Next Time is REALLY really bad in comparison with those 2 songs THE REAL CLA MIXED. A mix with no dynamics is a bad mix in my book.

Several times I've heard CLA saying never tries to get volume on his mixes.. that that's the mastering engineers job. I would expect a good 5db of headroom on any of his mixes and that's talking mastering ready.
Now we can debate wether he placed brickwall compression on that mix on purpose or not but then that would contradict what you said "his reputation is at stake". I seriously doubt He would squash that mix like that.

The problem I have with that post.. is that is making people THINK and BELIEVE that's how a mix should sound.. and IS NOT. Smile

Thumbnail(s)

(13-04-2016, 03:48 AM)Shul Wrote:
(12-04-2016, 09:26 PM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: I'm curious, because I've worked with this song also, what is it about the CLA MP3 posting of the mix that you feel would (or could) have been done differently. I personally threw a bunch of expensive "stuff" at this song and I feel the tone and presence of what was posted in the CLA post screams "quality gear".. the notes in the post match the mix IMO.. and have you had a chance to listen to other unmastered CLA mixes before? For reference, he's done these kinds of mixes from time to time:

I seriously doubt He would squash that mix like that.

Now I'm confused.. because that is EXACTLY what he and his brother are notoriously known for..

He's not going to come here and post something that's "quieter" than anyone else's posting.. he's going to make sure it was louder and more in-your-face than anyone else at the time of posting.. and it was, at the time it was posted, blew the other versions away..
Nice one my man!