Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Forkupines- Semantics MIX
I've mixed Semantics over the last week. It took a lot of work to get it sound the way I wanted but was very good fun, Let me know what you think!

.mp3    Semantics_Forkupines.mp3 --  (Download: 10.66 MB)

Hello Pw96

Here are my observations on your mix.

*Balance: Balance is very solid. I Can hear everything with minimal issues so I would say the first step of mixing is good enough
*Stereo Image: It also sounds decent. Instruments are spread nice in the stereo field. I believe what needs to be on sides is.. what needs to be on the center is.. so no complains here.
*Eq'ing: This is where things get really ugly. I don't like the eq'ing in the mix. It's too subby, has important mids that make the song fuller and quite a boost on some high freq. that are causing my ears to feel somewhat weird.
Are you using headphones to mix? if so, are they low end gear? because It could be your headphones have a massive amount of mids.. and very lil lows and highs and that's what is causing the problem.

Could also be you are eq'ing on every track in SOLO mode. perhaps you are boosting a particular freq. on several tracks or are cutting off a particular freq. on several tracks and that is giving that weird sounding effect. I don't know.

*at 3:12 you are missing very important guitars. You should check the files. I would not delete any track in your daw till you are sure is completely useless. I think you deleted it because you though there was nothing good in that track, which can get really confusing at points because of so many tracks.

Other than the Eq big problem, I believe your Balance and stereo imaging has potential to call this a good mix.
Again, not sure if it's your speakers, or a room problem, or a headphone problem. Listen to your mix on different systems to get a better idea of it. I use my monitors, my headphones and my car stereo to compare how it sounds on different systems.

Not trying to be harsh, just giving you my opinion on the mix. Keep it up and I hope I was helpful.
Gotta second Shul here - that EQ is plain nasty. No mids at all, a lot of very high frequencies, then this MASSIVE low end flab. The bass has just become a huge rumble of vibration that overwhelms everything but lacks any punch or clarity.

I think it would help, especially if you have less than ideal monitoring gear, to load a professionally produced reference track of a similar style onto one track, and occasionally solo it just to compare how your mix is sounding on the same gear.