Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atrophy mix, constructive criticism wanted
Hey y'all, I just finished mixing this wonderful track and I was hoping to get some constructive criticism. I'm all about improving my mixing game, seeing as I plan on doing this professionally one day and am trying to get as good as I can before I start college next year. Thanks!

.mp3    DopplerShift_Atrophy.mp3 --  (Download: 12.73 MB)

Hi I find your drums has too much room verb could be room mics? If you can loose that it will improve your mix,keep following you dream and keep practicing Smile thanks for sharing.
Ok I have some feedback, everything meant constructively.
The intro is too soft, you need a bit more level, you'll still be able to get the impact when drums come in.
Overall sound is a slightly harsh yet not brutal, but the vocal is really piercing.
The tip is check on other speakers and/or reference any commercial tracks you like for balancing the right amount of hi-mids and high end.
The vocal seems scoped out but I think it's only an impression due to the excess of harsh content.
Room mics are not too bad, but your snare is lacking focus: you should make sure to treat all mikes where the snare bleeds to de-emphasize the snare sound, so that the focus goes to the main snare mikes, panned dead center (kick and snare focused to the center is the norm these days)
Overall the energy is there, I'd say I expect a bit more content in the lower midrange which is somewhat scooped in general.
cheers