Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Al James-Schoolboy Fascination_Sandman Mix
Here's my mix of Al James "Schoolboy Fascination"

This was an assignment for my mixing class, and my first release of a mix.

Please give me some feedback,

Enjoy!

.mp3    Al James_Schoolboy Fascination_Sandman Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.36 MB)

Very good mix.. Perfect for me.. very professional...
Questions:
1)What Master Bus Compressor?
2)What eq do you use?
3)Do you use a Reference Track?
4)When you balance a levels of instruments do u concentrate on High frequency or low? how you understand that its a good balance(on what you pay attention while balancing a levels)?
Thanks...
(05-04-2016, 04:03 PM)almix Wrote: Very good mix.. Perfect for me.. very professional...
Questions:
2)What eq do you use?
4)When you balance a levels of instruments do u concentrate on High frequency or low? how you understand that its a good balance(on what you pay attention while balancing a levels)?
Thanks...

Thanks almix!

1) On my mix bus I just used the Waves L1 limiter. I mixed into it after getting basic levels and panning, with most of my compression happening on the tracks themselves.
2) I used the stock Pro Tools Dyn3 EQ.
3) I used the original mix as a reference, as well as Mike Senior's mix rescue mix.
4) In a nutshell, when balancing, I start by getting rid of any unwanted low end. I prioritize which elements I introduce to the mix first, and those get the most frequency real estate and concentration. I cut before I boost, find fundamentals, etc. With this song I focused on the vocals, bgv's, piano, drums, then filled in the rest.
(05-04-2016, 05:22 PM)Sandman394 Wrote:
(05-04-2016, 04:03 PM)almix Wrote: Very good mix.. Perfect for me.. very professional...
Questions:
2)What eq do you use?
Thanks...

Thanks almix!

1) On my mix bus I just used the Waves L1 limiter. I mixed into it after getting basic levels and panning, with most of my compression happening on the tracks themselves.
2) I used the stock Pro Tools Dyn3 EQ.
3) I used the original mix as a reference, as well as Mike Senior's mix rescue mix.
4) In a nutshell, when balancing, I start by getting rid of any unwanted low end. I prioritize which elements I introduce to the mix first, and those get the most frequency real estate and concentration. I cut before I boost, find fundamentals, etc. With this song I focused on the vocals, bgv's, piano, drums, then filled in the rest.

Thanks a lot Smile