Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea of Leaves (Asher Austin Mix)
Hey! I'm an audio engineering student in Tennessee and gave mixing this song a try. Let me know what you think! This is my first public mix, but your criticism is appreciated.

.mp3    Austin_JokersJacks&Kings_SeaofLeaves_1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.33 MB)

Hi Asher, I'm listening to your mix on a less than optimal pair of speakers, but I know them very well, and I can tell quite a bit about a mix from them...

With your mix, I'm hearing some balance issues: The drums seem to be quite buried in the mix in general. The main culprit overshadowing them is the guitar that enters the mix for the first time around 11 secs. That guitar part just seems way too loud in the balance - try turning it down quite a bit, and you will allow the drums to poke through a bit more.

On the plus side, the vocals seem to be sitting at a good audible level in the overall scheme of things, but again, once you pull that guitar down, you'll find that you don't need to necessarily have the vocal that loud. Once the ratio of guitar and vocal to drums is better, you will find that the mix will gain more "power" and punch.

Another aspect related to all this is a buildup of boxy midrange and low-mid mud that is robbing your mix of clarity. I'd like to have a closer listen on my studio speakers, but I can tell even on these relatively lo-fi speakers that the individual elements in the mix need a lot of work to find and remove those muddy frequencies around 200-300hz, and/or the boxy frequencies around 400-600hz that often build up in close-mic'd sources. You'll find that, once you work on that aspect, the mix will gain greater clarity and punch in general.

Finally, one more thing worth considering is the stereo field. At present, most of the elements seem bunched up in the middle and almost mono. Try taking advantage of the stereo spectrum to spread things out a bit.

Hope that helps!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Listening again on my studio monitors definitely confirms my impressions in my post above. Get those drums to punch through!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases