Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Left Blind (Mix by Devillion)
Hi! Here is my mix for this song.

I would need some feedback on the bass frequencies, because I am constantly struggling on getting the bass and the kick to their own frequency areas so that the bass section won't go to mud. On this mix I tried to cut the kick frequency (around 80Hz) from the bass and vice versa (140Hz from the kick) + some additional side chain compression from the kick to the bass. All this after the normal EQ treatment for both tracks.

Still a bit blurry low end? What do you think? Any suggestions?

.mp3    HollowGround_LeftBlind.mp3 --  (Download: 3.57 MB)

Did you highpass the guitars?
Hi!

Yes, if I remember correctly the guitars are highpassed from about 100 to 120hz down. There should be room for the bass frequencies, but maybe worth a try to hipass the guitars even higher.

And as for the mix in general, tone-wise I wanted to go more towards old Napalm Death than the in-your-face bass drum click and general non-dynamic mixing of metal music in the 2000's.
Do you think the mix nailed that vibe?
I only know Breed to Breath and Greed Killing - they tried to sound like Fear Factory when they recorded those songs imho. Back to your mix: It's a good mix, not too separated and clean. The snare is a tad too loud and the vocals need to come up imho but I don't know your ref mix. you need to automate the delay on the vocals because they sometimes work against the groove of the song. All in all it doesn't sound overproduced and clean. I like the guitar sound - not too bright, not too dark, just right.
Hey!
Thanks for the comments.
I used Napalm Death's awesome "Fear, Emptiness, Despair" album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh2j33wD8pA) as a rough reference for the mix Smile