Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Catching UP (WOW WAS THIS HARD :?)
I have to admit.. this one took me 3 days to sort out.
It's one of the hardest mixes I've done.
Why?
-Several tracks that play a role
-Musical arrangement gets confusing at points when replaying it over and over. It's like you feel like pushing a fader a bit up front.. but then change your mind cause another arrangement gives you a different persepective
-Vocal recording. The headroom is very small when getting to the endpart.. forcing me to drop some levels to even out the power that they carry with them. Not to mention there were several tracks included. I just listened to them and took the most efficient one.
-Many things happening at once that makes you loose focus on minor details.. like I almost left out the overheads and HH out because I was too focused on couple of guitars. (yup,.. volume was very low and didn't even noticed lol)
-This song officially made me use the most automation. I Don't really like it and use compression or double tracks when I need something but I had to resort to automation as my best friend here.
-Mastering without peaks to reach a good volume was a challenge. This isn't even that loud I know, but as long as It sounds close to the mix it's okay.

Anyways.. I had to listen to other mixes here (I don't do that till I have finished mine to compare with the rest of your mixes) because I was so unsure of the final product.
But the mix being as it is is likable to my taste.

Drop a comment with your thoughts on it.. or if you have mixed this before it'd be good to know what did you struggle with the most.
Again, a really hard song to mix (at least to me)

p.s. If you think this is bad lol wait till you mix it!!!

Saludos!

.mp3    Catching Up - Lyndsey Ollard.mp3 --  (Download: 8.7 MB)

Update: Boosted the vocal couple of db and a slight change of reverb.
Hey Shul',
Great job really enjoyed listening to your mix ,I started mixing this great song a long time ago but put in the too hard basket lol.
Think I will give it another go.
one thing I noticed is the vocals jumping out around 1.2-1.6 k ,which is easy to say without giving a solution
so I tried a dynamic eq on your mix and think it may help on the vocal but may have to be done in sections I put a less aggressive one on the chorus.
Here is a link of the FREE TDR NOVA Dynamic eq vst plugin which I think is a great tool.
http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/
Uploaded some pictures of some settings I used on the master bus.
The difference is subtle in the intro but noticeable when the music starts.
CheersBig Grin

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Catching up Shul dynamic eq _1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.74 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(03-04-2016, 03:11 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Shul',
Great job really enjoyed listening to your mix ,I started mixing this great song a long time ago but put in the too hard basket lol.
one thing I noticed is the vocals jumping out around 1.2-1.6 k ,which is easy to say without giving a solution
so I tried a dynamic eq on your mix and think it may help on the vocal but may have to be done in sections I put a less aggressive one on the chorus.
Here is a link of the FREE TDR NOVA Dynamic eq vst plugin which I think is a great tool.
CheersBig Grin

Hey Don Thanks for the awesome contribution!! I'm downloading the plug in right now.
Your eq made it smoother though it was very hard for me to compare it because my ears aren't trained to check for small things like that.
Also you edit sounds louder than mine.. did you put another limiter on it? or how exactly did you get a louder volume without clipping distortion?

Thanks for the feedback.
(04-04-2016, 02:59 AM)Shul Wrote:
(03-04-2016, 03:11 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Shul',
CheersBig Grin

Hey Don Thanks for the awesome contribution!! I'm downloading the plug in right now.
Your eq made it smoother though it was very hard for me to compare it because my ears aren't trained to check for small things like that.
Also you edit sounds louder than mine.. did you put another limiter on it? or how exactly did you get a louder volume without clipping distortion?

Thanks for the feedback.
I used waves ssl bus compressor just for a little warmth first into a piugchild mastering glue compressor. Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

ThanksSmile for the input I'll check those plugins out
Great Mix - sounds exactly like it should do - very restrained and well-balanced drums Very hard to find fault because there are none except on the songwriters part with everyone playing the same parts essentially even the vocalist (no. 3 on "thou shalt not...." - 10 commandments of songwriting). This also took me 3 days chipping away at it.
(23-06-2019, 08:47 AM)Retchid Gretchin Wrote: Great Mix - sounds exactly like it should do - very restrained and well-balanced drums Very hard to find fault because there are none except on the songwriters part with everyone playing the same parts essentially even the vocalist (no. 3 on "thou shalt not...." - 10 commandments of songwriting). This also took me 3 days chipping away at it.

yeah it's a hard mix to do. Thanks for feedback and for sure .. i hope it was 3 days of lotAfun for you Lol.