Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the glass
version 3. Hi passed around 30 Hz,

.mp3    glassewet.mp3 --  (Download: 8.15 MB)

(25-04-2016, 10:31 AM)Obelix Wrote: So you think that cutting 30 Hz brings something good? What about bands that have keyboard or 5 string bass with low B or even low A (27,5 Hz) ? I understand physics of this long waves. They are power hungry. So by cutting them you make speakers more efficient. I know. If I mix something for vynil realese, i will do a cut around 45 Hz, so the needle will not jump out of grooves. Cut around 20 Hz is a good thing because almost no one can hear that low and we do not need infrasound garbage in the mix.
This is an interesting subject,one thing I like about records is I have some classical recordings like the 1812 overture with some really deep bass well below 30 hz because they used a RIAA eq curve to reduce the bottom end so the needle wouldn't jump off the record and the phono of input of the amplifier had a built in RIAA eq to compensate of course with the overall sound depending on the quality of the sylus ,cartridge ,turntable, amp, monitors ,room etc.
http://sessionville.com/articles/what-is-the-riaa-curve
I also usually roll off everything below 30-40hz depending on how much is happening in the mix and as moons said many monitors don't produce deep clean bass anyway.
Some classical or musical with just some deep bass or drum passages being played with not much else happening maybe roll off at 20hz or even lower as on some high end monitors and subs you can feel the deep bass notes.

Cheers Big Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(25-04-2016, 10:52 AM)Obelix Wrote: version 3. Hi passed around 30 Hz,

(Lecture post)
RE: Mixing rules

I feel this song sounds better with the bass arranged out of the verses. Mixing "law" doesn't say bass has to be in every part of every song, When Doves Cry by Prince doesn't have a bass in the whole song. The right mix can make a difference of the impact of a song. Diana Ross, Diana (1980) - Chic produced and mixed the original version of the album, Diana Ross felt the record didn't have the right impact (sounding too "disco" during the disco backlash era), so she secretly went back in the studio (without Chic knowing) with a Motown mixer and remixed the entire record. Listen to both version on YouTube and the Chic version impact pales in comparison to the more commercially viable stripped down release version.

Chic version (Upside Down) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekqJbRpKRh8
Diana Remix Released Version (Upside Down) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIAtE6ywgwA

I feel the down-mixed-over version that was the hit record has the better mix decision.

In closing:

In my opinion, in this particular song, blaring all tracks in the intro, showing the listener all the cards of the song parts in the intro and first verse will leave them bored by the second verse in this song. This band is not popular, no one cares, what can we do as mixers to make them care if we can get a listen?

Just my thought, but "respect" for working with this song, only a few members has attempted it.

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Btw, you have nice inventory full of great and expensive 3rd party plugins and good outboard gear . I mixed this only with stock plugins from reaper.
I think that the version of the song you brought there is better with louder piano and hi hat on the right and it is not too bright.
(27-05-2016, 12:24 PM)Obelix Wrote: Btw, you have nice inventory full of great and expensive 3rd party plugins and good outboard gear . I mixed this only with stock plugins from reaper.

I just purchased Reaper a few weeks ago, it has grown into a very solid and impressive DAW.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
So, version 5 will be the final one without bass in verses.