Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the glass
Here is my mix.

.mp3    glass mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.08 MB)

Hi Obelix'
I Like your version ,the instrument and vocal levels sound well balanced.
Maybe a little more adjusting the timing on the delay on the vocals and acoustic as sounding a little out of time .
The mid bass sounds a touch congested have a listen to just the side channels as Not sure if the low frequencies of the panned electric guitars in the side channels could be clashing with the bass around 100-300 hz area or the bass just needs to come down a touch ?
Just some thoughts while having critical a listen.
Good job Big Grin

Cheers.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi, Don. Actually I did a hi pass filter on everything except bass guitar and maybe the kick drum . I hi passed gtrs around 100 Hz. Could have gone a bit higher. Or maybe quieter bass can solve the problem. Thx. I like having delay slightly out of time it creates a nice touch to a song. No fx except eq on acoustics.
version2

.mp3    untitled3445.mp3 --  (Download: 8.11 MB)

Hi Obelix,
Ah yes ,Version 2 sounds much better I like it a lot, Just a couple of nit pics while having a listen.
Maybe doing a slight 2db parametric eq dip with a wide Q of around 1 on the panned electric guitars and maybe also the bass around the 400hz to give the vocals more room in that area and maybe bring them up a db and a touch more and just a touch more top end presence 5k and over (maybe on the entire mix ? ).
Rolling off the deep bass on the kick below 30hz and below may also give some more room to the rest of the mix .
Just some thoughts while having a listen.
Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Give me a clue for the bass. I think that for the 3rd version I have fully digested the sounds in this song, but to me the bass itself gives a lot of trouble. Do you have any subs in your (home) studio. If so, tell me what is going on from 10 to 30 Hz in this song.
Version 3 is mixed. Now it is on the way. I moved the violin slightly to the right, just to give it some separation from main vocal. I hi passed kick drum @ 50 cycles.
Version 3

.mp3    glass33.mp3 --  (Download: 8.1 MB)

(23-04-2016, 12:59 PM)Obelix Wrote: Give me a clue for the bass. I think that for the 3rd version I have fully digested the sounds in this song, but to me the bass itself gives a lot of trouble. Do you have any subs in your (home) studio. If so, tell me what is going on from 10 to 30 Hz in this song.

I can say just do a hard cut on 30 Hz because no audio system will bring that out and most ppl cant hear it anyways, for example a decent P.A. system starts with 45Hz and i think hardly any let you hear 35 Hz, bonus on cutting the frequencies is that you leave out the frequencies with the most energy, wich only will generate heat in amplifiers and speakers wich then again will loose some cleareness in the sound, so basicly those frequencies are unwanted in a mix. Even a 40Hz cutof is good imo, but im just a FOH mixer, maybe for recording other rules count..
So you think that cutting 30 Hz brings something good? What about bands that have keyboard or 5 string bass with low B or even low A (27,5 Hz) ? I understand physics of this long waves. They are power hungry. So by cutting them you make speakers more efficient. I know. If I mix something for vynil realese, i will do a cut around 45 Hz, so the needle will not jump out of grooves. Cut around 20 Hz is a good thing because almost no one can hear that low and we do not need infrasound garbage in the mix.