Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First post, would like your thoughts
Hi, new to the board and I'm looking for some opinions on what I'm doing right & wrong with this mix. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance! Loving the song too...

.mp3    Tip Toe Through The Crypto.mp3 --  (Download: 11.39 MB)

Welcome to the board.

So my first impression, right from the spoken intro is that your playback system may lack low end. I say this because of the preponderance of low end in my playback of your mix. What I can hear of your mix is not bad, but the low end has got a serious content issue and is masking the mix badly, IMHO. Probably from 300 on down could be rolled off. Can I ask what your monitors are? Do you have cans to use as well?

Also, feel free to edit the intro's and exits of the songs here and treat them as creating finished product. I'm not sure the clapping at the end of the song would have made the cut typically, although this is a minor point.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thanks for taking the time to listen & comment, much appreciated.

It's interesting that you mention the low end as I've always struggled to get kicks & bass sounding good, the speaker setup is probably making this difficult. I'm using Behringer Truth's, the old version. Is there a way I can test the low end performance of the monitors? White noise, rta analyser, etc?
Analyzing your speakers may not solve anything. I would suggest a few things to watch for and when listening to your mixes. When you are running your mix, try to run a 1/3 octave RTA so you can see if there are any visual clues to your content's balance. After you've mastered something, play it back at lots of different levels on as many playback systems as you can and listen for content at all of those levels.

I approach songs with a listening level in mind and balance them based upon that assumption. For instance, the typical playback level of a ballad or love song may be very different than that of a dance tune. Master according to a loudness level.

Also, listen to some of your favorite music which approximates the music you are mixing and see if you can emulate those mixes. A lot of tracks have significant amounts of content that while listened to discreetly may sound spot on, but when blended in a mix have way too much of one thing or another. Just because a guitar line has all of this low end in it does not mean that should be the tonal content of it in the mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]