Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My take on Rothko by The Wrong'uns
Hello, this is my take on this song.

My goal was to make it sound as clean as possible, without making the song sound overproduced or overprocessed.
I left the guitars untouched, except for hi pass filters on all guitars and some limiting on the acoustic guitars.

Any kind of feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

.mp3    The Wrong\'uns - Rothko.mp3 --  (Download: 7.54 MB)

Hi,

interesting approach and a good result.

For my taste the accousitc guitars are a bit too boxy (and too dry - but this seems to be a feature of this mix) and the lead vocals too uneven. They simply have too much dynamic. You see, sometimes you have to polish stuff a bit just to meet the expectation of the listener.

I think your approach would work on tracks that have their final sound recorded, where you only need to balance them and have everything right. I don't think that this recording belongs to that category - although I have had worse.

Cheers
Artbass
I agree the acoustic is muddy and the vocal is too dynamic,sometimes is too upfront, some in the back.

The balance is nice, but the mix lacks excitement, the electric guitars need more mids-hi mids. The drums sounds pretty nice but the overheads are a little low, you need more hihat to drive the song and make it exciting.

The vocal should sound bigger and brighter and exciting in a mix with this kind of minimal production.

Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.