Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mix of Sleep By The Fire
Hi everyone,
Here is my take on this song. I hope the producer doesn't mind some of the edits I made to the arrangement! Big Grin If you've already heard this because I mistakenly posted it in the wrong spot, I apologize. As always, constructive criticism is welcomed.

Thanks!

.mp3    Sleep By The Fire_Forkupine 03.29.16.mp3 --  (Download: 7.08 MB)

...um... while I'm no loudness war advocate, I'm afraid this is just too quiet! Tongue
I think you forgot to upload your mix!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Ah, that's better - now I can hear it! Sounding good!

Great, clear vocals, nice balances of the elements, and very cool and innovative use of FX - I particularly dug the "breakdown chorus" with the screamed vocal - lovely stuff.

Mixwise, there are a few things that might be worth looking at:
The drums feel a little over-compressed - just missing some "punch" - perhaps slowing the attack on your close mics might allow more of the transient to come through. Related to that, it sounds like you might have tried compensate for the lack of transient impact by pushing the high end attack with eq - particularly on the kick drum - to my ears it results in a somewhat artificial "tick tick" type of sound which lacks depth and substance. The snare also has a kind of very prominent "rattle" which compromises it's punch and impact somewhat. I'm guessing that might also be slightly over-zealous compression. Perhaps you might want to try parallel compression as a way to still create characterful sounds, yet retain their impact.

The toms in the bridge need a little bit of attention too. The tend to sound pretty bulky in the low mids and boxy in the mids, so you may want to look at slimming them down some with eq. Again, they are tending to display over-compression artifacts, as the "bloom" of each tom hit gets a little out of control. As a result, the low end of the track loses definition in that part of the song, since the toms tend to compete with the bass for low end and low mid space.

Some great ideas here - cool stuff!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases

fHumble fHingaz,
Thanks so much for the compliments and excellent suggestions! I think I made the mistake of replacing all the drums and just leaving it at that without any further work. I'm going to go back and approach these sections with your suggestions in mind and see how it goes. Thanks again!