Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Daisy Daisy (easy mix?)
This song sounds so simple but it's not.

Overheads were delayed in comparison with the snare making the drums sound odd. I checked for the phase problem right away and everything fell into place after.

Sampled the rack tom as it was the busiest one and the bleed from the mic was ruining my overall drum sound.
Everything else is from original recording.
On floor tom I cut out everything but the actual tom hit. Cleaned the drums big time.

Since I wanted to use original snare recording, I worked with two different verb settings to bring it alive. Snare it self is very dry and plain sounding.

Didn't do much to the guitars as I like their tone. cut some 3k-5k area just to get rid of a bit of harshness and to help the vocals be more understandable.

Didn't do much to bas either. Just lowered some low freq. and 500 hz area to make is smooth. Bass player was pretty good at keeping it steady so barely used compression on it.

anyways... thoughts?

V2. Changed Eq settings on snare and Kick.

.mp3    DaisyDaisy.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

.mp3    DaisyDaisy2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.02 MB)

Sounds very good, Shul! Everything is sitting in the mix nicely. About the only thing I feel could use a little work is the snare - it's sitting out as a bit separated from the rest of the mix - just like it is a little disconnected. Perhaps a little more work with some ambience to connect the whole mix together might help. Also, there is a fairly prominent tuned resonance in the snare, which sounds cool, but might be worth finding and toning down just a tad to get it to blend into the track overall a bit more.

I've mixed this track a couple of time - the last time I mixed it, I did use some samples, but only some room mic samples. The close mics actually came out really good, but you're right - it's all pretty dry. In the absence of an under snare mic, I did the "gated white noise" thing.

Nice work!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(28-03-2016, 09:50 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Sounds very good, Shul! Everything is sitting in the mix nicely. About the only thing I feel could use a little work is the snare - it's sitting out as a bit separated from the rest of the mix - just like it is a little disconnected. Perhaps a little more work with some ambience to connect the whole mix together might help. Also, there is a fairly prominent tuned resonance in the snare, which sounds cool, but might be worth finding and toning down just a tad to get it to blend into the track overall a bit more.

I've mixed this track a couple of time - the last time I mixed it, I did use some samples, but only some room mic samples. The close mics actually came out really good, but you're right - it's all pretty dry. In the absence of an under snare mic, I did the "gated white noise" thing.

Nice work!

Thanks for the Feedback Humble.
Well it could be the weird experimentation of the reverbs. I can try to bring the drums a bit more up front and get rid of one of the reverbs. That would make it feel more solid.
(29-03-2016, 04:33 AM)Shul Wrote: Thanks for the Feedback Humble.
Well it could be the weird experimentation of the reverbs. I can try to bring the drums a bit more up front and get rid of one of the reverbs. That would make it feel more solid.

Hmmm... Not sure... I'm thinking that your drums maybe need to be a little less up-front, rather than more - particularly the snare. It's up to you, but generally I prefer to put the drums "behind" the rest of the band in the soundstage.

At present, your drums do sound behind the band, but your snare sounds like it is right out front, so there is a bit of a lack of cohesion in the soundstage.

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(29-03-2016, 08:13 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hmmm... Not sure... I'm thinking that your drums maybe need to be a little less up-front, rather than more - particularly the snare. It's up to you, but generally I prefer to put the drums "behind" the rest of the band in the soundstage.

At present, your drums do sound behind the band, but your snare sounds like it is right out front, so there is a bit of a lack of cohesion in the soundstage.

You both share the same point. Just wonder what you would do to fix it cause I can't put my finger on it Lol

I can't put the snare back anymore because there is masking and it would just get rid of the actual snare presence.
I placed it where it is because snare is competing with the guitars and vocals. If I pull it more up front I'd be having weird issues with voice and snare.

Version 2 Above:
What I did to get a different overall drum sound was Thin out the snare and kick to change the relation between the drum kit. I also brought the voice down a db or two to maximize the drum feel in hopes that the snare doesn't sound out of the kit.

Hope that sounds better. IF not let me know your suggestions.
Yep - the latest mix does the trick - nice one!
(30-03-2016, 10:46 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Yep - the latest mix does the trick - nice one!

Well I have to admit there was an ugly freq. in the low end. perhaps that was making the snare sound out of place.

Thanks for the feedback.