Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Primakova: 'The Glass' Don's Mix1
Here is version 1 ,Lovely song.
Didn't really didn't do much so far ,I think it was pretty well recorded.

Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    Pass the Glass V1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.07 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I like it very much. Very live feeling.

Especially vox, bg vox and drums feel good to me.

As a ”capture of live performance” it’s ready as such to me as your mix has very nice overall groove, but if you want to make it more like a record I might give some attention to guitars.
- acoustic guitar could have more natural sound, not so DI. That would give more room to sonic change that electric guitars introduce to the song.
- electric guitars have some not so musical distortion in them. That maybe could be lessened a bit.
Hey Don

Few observations while listening to your mix.

*The voice is coming in too loud. I would turn it down. The treatment you gave it sounds nice. I do believe if you turn it down some dbs this would sound better.
*The kick has very little presence. It's mostly low end feel. Not sure if that's what you were looking for.
*That synth could have some automation work. It cuts off heavy. You could fade out somewhat so it doesn't feel too obvious. Also fade out at the end.
*I do like the live vibe the mix has.

all in all really solid mix.
(26-03-2016, 10:18 AM)Olli H Wrote: I like it very much. Very live feeling.

Especially vox, bg vox and drums feel good to me.

As a ”capture of live performance” it’s ready as such to me as your mix has very nice overall groove, but if you want to make it more like a record I might give some attention to guitars.
- acoustic guitar could have more natural sound, not so DI. That would give more room to sonic change that electric guitars introduce to the song.
- electric guitars have some not so musical distortion in them. That maybe could be lessened a bit.
Hi Olli .
You have excellent ear for detail,the guitars especially the acoustics are just the raw recordings with just a touch of compression and rolled off low frequencies,will work on the guitars more on version 2 Big Grin

Thanks for having a listen

Cheers.

(27-03-2016, 05:01 AM)Shul Wrote: Hey Don

Few observations while listening to your mix.

*The voice is coming in too loud. I would turn it down. The treatment you gave it sounds nice. I do believe if you turn it down some dbs this would sound better.
*The kick has very little presence. It's mostly low end feel. Not sure if that's what you were looking for.
*That synth could have some automation work. It cuts off heavy. You could fade out somewhat so it doesn't feel too obvious. Also fade out at the end.
*I do like the live vibe the mix has.

all in all really solid mix.
Hey Shul.
Thanks for having listen ,yes I agree the kick does need more presence and a touch more top end,will sort that out along with the synth automation and vocal level.

Thanks for the feedback.
Cheers Big Grin

(26-03-2016, 04:09 AM)thedon Wrote: Here is version 1 ,Lovely song.
Didn't really didn't do much so far ,I think it was pretty well recorded.

Cheers Big Grin

Disclaimer, I'm the artist...

I really like the live feel you've given to your mix, it's not "overmixed" which I think works best with this style of music in general. In my own mix (the one on my band camp page, not Mike's quick demo mix on the home page), I mixed it "top-down" so as not to interfere with the individual instrument sounds too much on their own, and I feel you've got a similar result with your mix.

Thanks for the compliments on the song and especially the recording. It really is a proper bedroom recording, done in my spare bedroom with an electronic drum kit controlling drum kit designer in Logic Pro X via MIDI, a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 interface, Fender Stage 100 amp (bass amp is a built-in Logic amp sim), Rode NT-1a and a Shure SM-58. That's the extent of the equipment, so that compliment means a lot.
Hi Cowboy Bob ,
Thanks so much for sharing your recordings with us ,i find it a real honour to hear from you the the artist of this great song and kind words.
I just listened to your mix of this song on band camp and sounds excellent with a nice warm sound ,also having a listen to your other great songs which such a big list of songs,I also use Rhode mic's and sm58 mainly for live vocal recordings ,knowing your equipment and how to get the best sound from it makes a big difference.
Would Love to mix more of your songs if possible.
Cheers Big Grin

Don