Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Burning Bridges Mixed by Dcp
A new mix and master of Burning Bridges, I mixed this track last year and a couple of weeks ago I gave it a listen and wasn't really happy with it, so I deleted my original thread and made a new mix and master from scratch.

I used the supplied drums with the Drum room 3 track as my main ambient reverb. The snare and toms have an 800 ms plate reverb just to add some sustain and weight, other than that the drums are dry with only a compressor on the bus, Rbass and a clipper on the kick, and some minor eq and compression on the snare.

The bass was as usual split into a high and low track, the low track has some leveling compression and the high track is run through a guitar amp for some clank and bite. The 2 tracks are summed together with some compression and subtractive eq removing some unwanted mud. The bass is also sidechained to the kick so that they don't fight each other as much.

The rhythm guitars sounded awesome right out of the box, I just high passed them at 90 Hz, low passed them at 10 kHz, and did some gentle parametric cuts to remove some annoying frequencies. I also used the Andy Sneap C4 trick to tighten up the low mids. Lead guitars are processed similarly. The guitars are run through a Ping Pong Delay with no feedback and an 800 ms Plate reverb that is mostly early reflections for some ambiance.

Vocals got some compression and eq to help them sit within the mix. There's no reverb on the vocals at all, just a 30 ms Ping Pong Delay with no feedback blended in just to add some width to them.

The whole mix is run through a Variety of Sound Density Master Buss compressor taking off 1-2 dBs of gain just to glue it all together. Mastering was some more compression from an API 2500 Emulation, Eq correction with an RS56 eq emulation, some harmonic exciting, and a mulitband Limiter to bring the mix up to K12 mastering levels.

Please leave your comments and critiques below, Enjoy!

2017 Update: I remixed this again back in August but forgot to upload it to the site, this time I added a snare room sample to the track to help make the snare more weighty sounding in the mix, and the cymbals are actually audible.

.mp3    Burning Bridges Master 1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.26 MB)

.mp3    Burning Bridges Final mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.2 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
I think it sounds great! That phasey pan sweep on the guitar solo was really cool! Great idea!
Great Mix, good balance. Some things i noticed while listening

- Floor toms are a bit boomy
- you should automate the kick in doublebass parts (there is too much low end build up imho)
- the snare is to dark and to loud for my taste. CLA would say "not exciting enough"

(04-04-2016, 03:40 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: Great Mix, good balance. Some things i noticed while listening

- Floor toms are a bit boomy
- you should automate the kick in doublebass parts (there is too much low end build up imho)
- the snare is to dark and to loud for my taste. CLA would say "not exciting enough"

Thanks for the critique Blitzzz, I'm pretty much in 100% agreement with your observations of the mix, I uploaded this version just to make sure it wasn't just me that was hearing those details. I made a revised version of the mix with the toms being gated, the snare made brighter, and some slight automation on the kick. I also added a soft clipper to my drum buss to make the kit pop a little more.

.mp3    Burning Bridges Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.35 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Perfect, but kick & toms stil have too much oomph. Turn them down (but listen to the snare and other instruments closely - maybe the snare will be too loud if you reduce the boom) and you have a very powerful and emotional mix
Finally got back to this mix, I gave up on it because I started to get fusterated trying to get the snare sounding right and the relationship between the kick and bass sorted out. Overall I wanted the snare to smack through the mix but still have some sustain and kept ending up falling short. Through the jigs and reels of it I never got the results I was looking for and ended up giving up and moving on.

Last week I got an e-mail about a new plugin Plugin Alliance was releasing call DrumXchange, it's basically a sample replacement tool ala Slate Trigger but has 2 seperate thresholds, one is the conentional level dependent threshold and the other is transient dependent. This prevents mistriggers and alot of shotgunning on samples and just makes it easier to work with drums recorded with conventional mics or other samples. The samples that come with it don't sound great on their own but really work well when used in conjuncion with the original drum source.I downloaded the free trial and went to work on this mix and this is what I came up with

Cheers,
Doug

.mp3    Burning Bridges Master 1.5.mp3 --  (Download: 5.2 MB)

My """final""" mix, I used My Curse by Killswitch Engage as per the FAQ Blitzzz put up and after about 2 years of mixing this track I think I'm finally semi happy with itBig Grin

Cheers,
Doug

.mp3    Burning Bridges Master 2 Killswitch.mp3 --  (Download: 5.18 MB)

This is a great mix on many levels. The two things I don't like:

- Cymbals are not loud enough. As much as I love the overall balance you need to carve some space for the cymbals. right now they are not audible
- The Snare needs a tad more room/space. IF you have trigger, choose a snare sample that fits your snare sound, mute the direct mic and only use the room sound. Or use a bright plate reverb with 2 seconds reverb time

I noticed this mix lacks energy, i would fall asleep listening to this the song thru, i gave up after first 50 seconds.
Finally I find a great mix in this place lol
The first and the last mixes are the best you made
I will try to make something with your mixes as a reference