Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the glass
here is my mix . hope you like.
Mixed in the box with Studio One 3 by Presonus, Waves plugins.
Any input??

Sergio

.mp3    the glass.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

If I listen this loudly, it feels very nice, but when I turn the level down the lack of midrange comes quite audible. If I activate my ”auratone test” to master channel, the sound of your mix changes dramatically. Kick and bass disappear totally. So they don’t participate to the groove in midrange area at all. And that would mean that the mix won't translate well to different listening environments.

I’ve noticed that quite often nowadays you seem to have too ”smiley” overall sound. That is to say midrange feels quite thin. I’m quite sure that all the instruments have nice sound as such if soloed, but the don’t make together the optimal groove now.

During your years in this forum you have improved hugely, but I think that this midrange thing is currently your weakest point. So, I would suggest to you to build yourself somehow midrange test to master channel with eq or with impulse or whatever. And listen how professional grammy winning reference records preserve their sound and groove even if one cuts off both the low-end and hi-end.

Sorry not to go to other details of your mix, but this midrange thing is quite important. It prevents me to listen and analyze other things where you're already very good at.

CHeck the setting #3 from here
http://www.recording64.com/2014/07/18/3-...-your-mix/

I haven't test it but it looks very correct.
Disclaimer, I'm the artist...

I think I agree with Olli, the overall balance of the instruments to each other sounds great, as does the stereo separation, but the mid-range when it's all mixed together makes the mix sound a bit thin. I went for the "smiley" sound as Olli puts it in my original mix (the one on my band camp page, not Mike's quick mix for the demos on the home page here) so I like what you're aiming for, I just think you might need to dial it back a bit.
Watch for his defense of the artist and the release of mr olli, I need to know precisely what the problem of my mixes because it is very important to me that frequencies'm lacking and that frequencies'm well enough to know if I need to change monitors or somehow obtain adequate equalization of my mixtures. I've noticed that lately my mixes suffer from not having certain frequencies and concern not know if I am or monitoring.
I work independently in my home and my work is a form of cash income and do not want to be failing in audio quality because of a problem that can be easily solvable.
Les agradecere if you can quote me expound better or any website where I can check whether I am the problem or my monitoring system. I theoretically do everything right and have several proven methods mix, but a time now the truth is that I worry about what targeted by Mr. Olli
hope will understand what I mean, I use a translator to communicate with you, of course thank you very much

Here's some tips to check the mid-range.
First of all, use always and only hi-class reference cds that are suitatble for chosen genre. Bring reference to your DAW, so that you can apply same settings, adjust levels etc
And main thing is to listen. After that you can also use these tricks that I use quite often.

TEST 1: LISTEN ONLY MIDRANGE
Add eq to your master bus with hi-pass around 200 hz (24 db) and low-pass around 8000 hz (24 db). When that eq is on, it should sound like music coming from a small one-speaker radio.

With mid-range only audible compare your mix to top class reference.
Do you still hear bass and kick?
Do they participate to the groove in a correct way?

TEST 2: eq off, eq on, eq off, eq on
Listen how top class mixes doesn’t change their essential nature or groove when mid-range eq alter the bypass state of your eq. If your sound alters essential character, then there’s probably something wrong in low-end.

TEST 3: Listen with very low level and compare to the references with same loudnes. Listen if you still hear the essential groove.

TEST 4
Use frequency meters and analyze the spectrum of high quality mixes from the same genre.

I’m sure others will have more and better ideas. THose are just some ideas from one hobbyist whose one weak area happens to be low-end … Hopefully others will join
thanks Olli !!
Estimated Olli, test in my home studio with respect to monitoring, generate white noise in Daw and other analyzer with microphone to "hear" that signal, and an eq 10 bands equals the most I could the two curves, the Daw and the analyzer, in inserting hear that eq change much in the master.
Would believe that I am close to having a good listener, something that I hope to improve the quality of my mixes.
If you want to analyze probelms of your room, use this http://www.roomeqwizard.com/. It's free.

It's a different thing to analyze your mix meters in digital level. So remember that most important is to listen. Meters are good to warn you that ”your low-end might have some issues”. No meter will tell you if you have made too deep cuts to vocal mid-range or to solo-instrument. Recently you have had that kind of problem. I guess you have been fixing with too strong tools and it has caused shrinked mid-range feeling. With lower listening levels I personally find it easier to detect such problems.

I think that the main aspect of reference cdConfused is to refresh one’s ears, to remind brains what is natural sound and natural balance for the chosen genre. That’s why it’s nice to have couple of different high quality references at the same time playing in your DAW in the same level as your mix. It prevents you from not to mimic too much another sound that cannot be forced to the chosen multitracks.

And remember, these are just thoughts from another forum fellow who is fighting with similar problem. So be critical and listen also what other’s with better ears and knowledge says.