Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Reason To... continue mixing
(24-03-2016, 09:55 AM)Dangerous Wrote:
(23-03-2016, 08:56 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: [quote='Mike Senior' pid='44569' dateline='1458661345']

Hey Mike - long time, no chat...

Your comment sparked my curiosity, so I had another listen to the track today... I was interested in your comment about the 2-4k, so I pulled up some Steely Dan as a reference track and made some comparisons (Babylon Sisters, Deacon Blue). I downloaded Dave's mix and experimented with some eq, and sure enough, 2.7k really jumped out as I swept around with a narrow boost. I pulled out about 1dB @ 2.7k with the widest Q on a linear phase eq... I've attached the result below...

I think it definitely took the "bite" out of the vocal and the lead guitar, but it seems to sit more favourably with the reference tracks now.

I just checked this out in the studio through my old sealed monitors and really liked the effect. It seemed to add a little polish with a more mastered sound overall. I can hear the Steely Dan reference. It's a nice sounding EQ you have used. I tried a similar thing my end with the stock Reaper EQ to a lesser effect.

The EQ was just Cakewalk's old LP64 Linear Phase EQ. I'm using Reaper for mixing these days, but I still use the LP64 on the master buss mostly just for some final strategic cuts (usually HP filter and low mid clean-up).

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
I agree with the others that you've a done a wondeful job here, Dave!

The vocals in particular sounds better than I sang them! Smile (BTW thank you all for the kind words on my vocals, it's true that I don't see myself as a singer at all, I'm musician first, and I sing because there's no one else around to do it mostly Smile)

The tones overall are great and with you've featured what needed to be featured at the right time. So it's really successful to direct and keep the listener's attention at all time, very well done!

The 2.7k dip from fHumble is also quite successful in making things sit a little bit better together.

Just a few nitpicks from me (mostly taste related though):
- I feel that the electric guitar on the right (during the chorus) is a little too much on the right, as it is not always balanced on the left side. I felt the mix was a little lopsided at that point, so I would try to bring it a little more towards the center during that part.
- the phaser on the second solo at 1:50 is a little bit too obvious, I would have dialed it back just a little, so that it's felt but not necessarily heard (as I said, very taste related).

These nitpicks aside, I really enjoyed your work, truly great! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks Patrick,
I'm glade you like.

I can agree with the "nitpicks" and I've just open up the session and for what ever reason I have the left guitar at 80% pan and the right at 100%. An oversight on my part I guess. I also favor the EQ mod by fHumble, it works quite well. I haven't been able to pull it off in the project with quite the same effect.
Your music is a real delight to work with and a wonderful learning tool as well.

Thanks,
Dave