Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lead Inc: 'The Dice'
(22-03-2016, 10:55 AM)thedon Wrote: Here is version 1 ,
I really like this this great song well performed by the band.
version 2 Just done some eq .
Cheers Big Grin

Hi,
As usual avery clean and tight mix. Nice spatial placements and wide. A little too much verb on the lead for my taste, it stands out as a little soft when everything else is very tight and hard sounding.
Excellent job

TC
Hi Tom,
Thanks for having a listen ,i agree about the lead reverb ,will adjust that in the next version.
Cheers Big Grin.
Don

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hey don, just making these comments while listening to the Lead roll the DiceV2..mp3 version of your mix.

Overall the balance of mix is quite good, vocals are sitting nicely on top of the mix but aren't overbearing, the bass has a deep growl to it and fills out the low end quite well. The guitars could afford to be higher up in the mix but the overall tone is pretty balanced.

For me at least the drums seem to be the weakest part, while they do have some punch, they don't seem to have alot of drive to them, they sit lower in the mix and don't really have that aggression that this type of track needs. The kick to me seems to be mostly click and gets lost behind the bass and the lower end of the guitars. I found that using the inside kick mic highpassed at 500 Hz and the outside kick mic lowpassed at 1 kHz then blending those 2 mics helped to get some aggression out of the kick and made fitting the bass in the mix easier and got me a nice thwack out of the kick. The snare and toms need to come up in the mix a fair bit. For the snare, saturation from a preamp emulation will be your friend in coaxing some power out of the snare and will cut down on the amount of compression needed for it. The toms just need to come up overall.

Again your mix is sounding good, it just needs some work on the drums and guitars for it to really shine.

Keep it up,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Hey Dcp,
Thanks for having a listen ,
I'm going to do a complete remix ,after all of the great feedback.
I also have to sort out the low wooshy sound on the overhead and room cymbals and some masking issues I can hear.
Will work on the guitars level and try what you had done to the kick and the snare to cut through more.
Thanks for lending me your ears !Big Grin
Cheers,
Don

I listened the version 2.
Sounds great to me.
I like the natural groove that you have made.

Only thing that came to my mind is, that there could be more 3-dimensionality. Now the whole band sits clearly behind the singer.

With loud listening the vox feels a bit too loud, but I don’t consider it as a real problem.
That's a nice well balanced mix ! Very good job here !
(16-04-2016, 08:50 AM)Mandubien Wrote: That's a nice well balanced mix ! Very good job here !
Thanks for the kind words Mandubien ,it means a lot Big Grin

Cheers Big Grin

Hey there Smile Really good mix Wink I dont have much to add to what has been said already...apart from the obvious rumble with the bass...Focus it more on the middle, use some m/s eq and hi pass the sides, as well as what's been said about the MB compression on the low end in the middle...That's something that i use quite a lot with izotope and helps a lot to keep those raging lows under control. Nice work Big Grin !!
(25-04-2016, 12:00 PM)Ak3r Wrote: Hey there Smile Really good mix Wink I dont have much to add to what has been said already...apart from the obvious rumble with the bass...Focus it more on the middle, use some m/s eq and hi pass the sides, as well as what's been said about the MB compression on the low end in the middle...That's something that i use quite a lot with izotope and helps a lot to keep those raging lows under control. Nice work Big Grin !!
Hey
Thanks for having a listen ,will give that a try .

Cheers Big Grin

Cool mix thedon ☺