Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mix by gleonardops
Hi gleonardops, and welcome to the Discussion Zone! Smile I like the airy feel you've achieved in the tonality, and you've also managed to give a nice sense of stereo width without much in the way of mono compromises, which is good. I like the piano sound, and the drums function pretty well in context, I think, despite feeling a little spindly if you listen to them directly. (The main thing I miss with the drums is more of a sense of blend, as if they're one instrument rather than a selecting of different mics -- the toms particularly. Short reverb would be my weapon of choice.) It sounds like you've used quite a lot of guitar DI, which seems a bit of a shame, though, given how many mics you've got to choose from.

The bass feels rather inconsistent in terms of its place in the balance. Perhaps a bit more compression might help there, or some more automation -- I'd expect to be using a combination of both in a production like this. The only other thing that I'm not sure about is the vocal tonalities -- that rasp in Andrew's voice needles me from time to time (for example around 4.2kHz for "in the air" at 2:57), and the female vocalist doesn't seem to fit naturally with him yet. Myself, I'd probably fade her up a bit, and let through a touch more of the 200-300Hz region to give her some more solidity.

A rewarding listen overall, though, nonetheless.

Messages In This Thread
Mix by gleonardops - by gleonardops - 07-07-2012, 05:58 AM
RE: Mix by gleonardops - by uzilevi - 10-07-2012, 12:36 PM
RE: Mix by gleonardops - by Kaivalya - 19-07-2012, 05:38 AM
RE: Mix by gleonardops - by Mike Senior - 19-07-2012, 10:19 AM