Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix of One Minute Smile
Hey guys!

I don't often mix rock song, was trying my best, finished in 5 hours or something, now I'm not sure about overheads, rest is fine for me Tongue
Some advice will be nice, thank you.

.mp3    Actions - One Minute Smile (after).mp3 --  (Download: 6.37 MB)

Hello Nick

This is too loud, Your audio is Distorting. Can't really give you feedback till you fix this.
Go easy on the limiter. Clean good sounding mix will always be better than a loud one no matter if is not as loud.

Audio overally is heavily saturated, but I did that on purpose, there's no audible clipping or hard distortion, so I don't see a problem here, this is just how I like it.
But well, np, I did a bit quieter mixdown, if you say so, cause I'm not sure. Smile

.mp3    Actions_OneMinuteSmile_less_saturation.mp3 --  (Download: 6.37 MB)

Ok I think that's too much saturation but if you like it like that then ok. (I'm 100%sure there was distortion on your first upload because my headphones told me so Lol)

Here are a few things I can point out with what I can hear (as saturation makes it hard to pin point details)

*There is a snare in the center, but there is also a snare in the left. My guess is it comes from the left panned tom. I would cut out all of the parts where there is no tom sound, our set up a trigger to get rid of everything but the toms.
*Did you put reverb on the bass? at 0:57 for example, I hear a rumbling freq. that sounds like it's in the reverb. It's masking some of the mix.
*I like the Vocals eq they are on point but unfortunately I don't think they shine as they should because of the rest of the instruments (especially drums)
*at 0:21 there is a guitar that goes in.. it sounds like you High Passed it to like 1kh or so.. so it sounds really weird with all the rest of the high frequencies.
*I would trigger the toms snare and kick to get rid of all the unnecesary bleed from those mics.
*becareful with oversaturation, that leads to bad high frequencies clash and that's not good.

the Balance sounds good, it's just you need polishing in eq and cutting off unnecesary bleed from drum mics.

Cheers I hope this helps.