Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Alone With You (wrapped up)
(03-04-2016, 11:38 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: 4-3-2016

This mix represents a change in the dynamics and a more sophisticated approach to effects.

The guitars have had level automation added through the song and the vocals have had effects added in various places. There is also significant multi-band compression on the guitar buss to control the low mid saturation.

The mastering has significantly more compression.

This version is hairsplittingly close to being perfect. The balance is really great, loving the separation of the kick and bass, the guitars are also really full and clear. The thing that really ruins it is the level of the backing vocals. They're so up front now that they completely undo the balance in the mix, they just dominate the mix and drown out all the other elements of the mix.

The lead vocals in my honest opinion lose their magic with the phaser used in the final chorus, it just really sounds like you put a phaser there just because and never refined the settings. The delay however is really nice sounding in the second verse and the mono reverb adds a more vintage vibe to them, nice touch.

Overall this mix is one of the best that I've heard on this song, however the backing vocals and the phaser on the lead vocals need some more work, try turning down the backing vocals 5-6 dB or to taste and slowing down the phaser to about 0.15 or 0.20 Hz on the rate control (if your phaser is sync'd to the tempo of the track try setting the rate to either 2/1 or 4/1 with a depth of 20-40% and the mix % to 30-40%), that way the phaser's sweep won't be so "lazer gunish" ;P.

Hope this helps,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(04-04-2016, 09:20 PM)dcp10200 Wrote:
(03-04-2016, 11:38 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: 4-3-2016

This mix represents a change in the dynamics and a more sophisticated approach to effects.

The guitars have had level automation added through the song and the vocals have had effects added in various places. There is also significant multi-band compression on the guitar buss to control the low mid saturation.

The mastering has significantly more compression.

This version is hairsplittingly close to being perfect. The balance is really great, loving the separation of the kick and bass, the guitars are also really full and clear. The thing that really ruins it is the level of the backing vocals. They're so up front now that they completely undo the balance in the mix, they just dominate the mix and drown out all the other elements of the mix.

The lead vocals in my honest opinion lose their magic with the phaser used in the final chorus, it just really sounds like you put a phaser there just because and never refined the settings. The delay however is really nice sounding in the second verse and the mono reverb adds a more vintage vibe to them, nice touch.

Overall this mix is one of the best that I've heard on this song, however the backing vocals and the phaser on the lead vocals need some more work, try turning down the backing vocals 5-6 dB or to taste and slowing down the phaser to about 0.15 or 0.20 Hz on the rate control (if your phaser is sync'd to the tempo of the track try setting the rate to either 2/1 or 4/1 with a depth of 20-40% and the mix % to 30-40%), that way the phaser's sweep won't be so "lazer gunish" ;P.

Hope this helps,
Dcp

Geeze. Nobody likes my background vocal treatment! Confused. That 'phaser' you are hearing is actually just a double with no sweep at all and it might just be too close in time. I was trying, (admittedly not well) to add to the dynamics of the last chorus where Justin just seems to run out of juice. I will have to rethink that approach.

Thanks for the kind words otherwise. Today I have my first chance to listen to this mix outside of my normal playback system and I found the bass guitar to be just a bit too thick at the very low end. I will be redoing that and will upload it soon.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(04-04-2016, 11:15 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: [quote='dcp10200' pid='45188' dateline='1459801240']
[quote='Mixinthecloud' pid='45126' dateline='1459723116']
4-3-2016

Geeze. Nobody likes my background vocal treatment! Confused. That 'phaser' you are hearing is actually just a double with no sweep at all and it might just be too close in time. I was trying, (admittedly not well) to add to the dynamics of the last chorus where Justin just seems to run out of juice. I will have to rethink that approach.

Thanks for the kind words otherwise. Today I have my first chance to listen to this mix outside of my normal playback system and I found the bass guitar to be just a bit too thick at the very low end. I will be redoing that and will upload it soon.

Man I could have sworn that was a phaser set at a really high rate, in that respect nice trick there, needs refining still but a cool idea. looking forward to the new mix!
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
4-6-2016

After receiving some very good advice and reviews of my mix of this wonderful and emotion filled song, I have completed my latest version which I think does the artist more justice. A lot of subtle changes have been made to dynamics throughout the song and the doubling of the vocal in the final chorus has been updated. And yes, the background vocals have been tamed and brought down by 3.5 dB.

Please let me know your thoughts and impressions of this latest version.

.mp3    Justin Myles - Alone With You - 4-6-2016.mp3 --  (Download: 17.17 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
very inspiring mix, thanks for sharing.
and also i like its balance but, you really mixed it with desktop speakers? that's shocking!
(28-04-2016, 07:53 PM)coldvodka Wrote: very inspiring mix, thanks for sharing.
and also i like its balance but, you really mixed it with desktop speakers? that's shocking!

Honestly, truly! Dell desktop 2.1. I have a friend who operates a wonderful studio in Seattle. He has a brand new API 1608 console and Barefoot MM27s. His room sounds tremendous. To my amazement and delight, the mixes I've done on these little beauties translated perfectly on his monitors! I was completely dumbfounded.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
I like this version! The claps in verse sounds in right balance for me, that's really neo-soul style! Maybe i would like to hear more sweetyBig Grin guitar in solo))
(13-05-2016, 03:27 PM)Konek Wrote: I like this version! The claps in verse sounds in right balance for me, that's really neo-soul style! Maybe i would like to hear more sweetyBig Grin guitar in solo))

Let's just say I left it more ensemble than a lead.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Up to you)
(13-05-2016, 05:03 PM)Konek Wrote: Up to you)

Is that the only thing wrong with the mix?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]