Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Lead Inc: 'The Dice'
(24-04-2016, 02:16 PM)Luc van der Stap Wrote: Hi Dave,

Think you don't have to change anything, you nailed this one ;-)

Great job!

Cheers,
Luc

Hi Luc,
Thanks for the comments mate. Very much appreciated.

Dave.
(24-04-2016, 07:18 PM)Ak3r Wrote: Hey there!! Great, great mix!! Big Grin I love the sound of your drums, specially the kick. To my taste you could even add a bit more reverb to the snare, as well as the voice...as i find that almost the ppl mixes this song pretty dry....I have little more to add...Really Good Work, as Luc says...no need to change anything Smile !!!

Hi Ak3r,
Thanks for your comments. These are things I will look at when I revisit this one. The snare in particular I want to work on. I've just got to be careful that any changes I make are positive ones.

Cheers
Dave

It's Sunday, cold and wet and the firewood is cut. A couple of spare hours to have a another play with this one. Based on a lot of the helpful comments left, I have made some minor alterations. Firstly I have added a snare sample and blended it to the original to add some fullness. I have also added some extra body to the guitar tones. In the original mix they seemed to be disappearing a bit on smaller listening devices.
Is it an improvement on the first mix? I hope so.

Dave
Sorry, Dave, but your first version more natural sounding for my taste. Cool
This primarily relates to the balance between guitars and bass and drums.
(10-07-2016, 04:33 PM)Konek Wrote: Sorry, Dave, but your first version more natural sounding for my taste. Cool
This primarily relates to the balance between guitars and bass and drums.

Thanks for your honesty. I listen to this again this morning and totally agreed. So I scrapped the mix and replaced with one with a snare sample and only minor overall adjustments, closely resembling the original. I don't have much experience using drums samples so I thought this would be a good track to test. For me the sample snare sound brings more consistency, but in doing so the natural feeling of the original is lost. Not sure if I like it or not. I guess the trick is to marry the best of both together somehow. The jury is still out....
Who is the jury?Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
First snare really more in the nature of song... But now, when i listen the popular songs in similar style, I find there are a lot of different solutions.
Perhaps the best solution will come in a week or two
(11-07-2016, 02:17 PM)Konek Wrote: Who is the jury?Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
First snare really more in the nature of song... But now, when i listen the popular songs in similar style, I find there are a lot of different solutions.
Perhaps the best solution will come in a week or two

The jury is for the most part, the voices in my head. I think your right though, a week or two may help with the answer.
I listened to both versions and found out that some elements sound quite the same like in my mix, in terms of volume and tone. I liked the first version more, as i can hear a lil more bass from the basstrack. The kicksound has a lot of low energy.

At 1:30 the toms could sound much fuller ,but i like how kick and bass work together here

At 3:18 the snare suddenly gets smaller

I would say in this version (first one) what work good for me are kick, guitars, vocals. I like the space you created by making the kick so fat. The guitars seem to sit nicely on top of it. The Bass could be more noticeable and the snare and tomsound more consistently.

Hope it helps,
Jeraldo
(13-07-2016, 09:48 AM)jeraldo Wrote: I listened to both versions and found out that some elements sound quite the same like in my mix, in terms of volume and tone. I liked the first version more, as i can hear a lil more bass from the basstrack. The kicksound has a lot of low energy.

At 1:30 the toms could sound much fuller ,but i like how kick and bass work together here

At 3:18 the snare suddenly gets smaller

I would say in this version (first one) what work good for me are kick, guitars, vocals. I like the space you created by making the kick so fat. The guitars seem to sit nicely on top of it. The Bass could be more noticeable and the snare and tomsound more consistently.

Hope it helps,
Jeraldo

Thanks Jeraldo,

Yeah, I think I still favour version#1 myself, but as you say with the inconsistency of the snare, it's my biggest gripe with it also. Maybe I should have tried to sample one of the better sounding snare hits and triggered that through the whole track. Something I've got to keep working at.