Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backroom In Tulsa
(13-09-2020, 08:14 PM)DctrRoss Wrote:
(13-09-2020, 12:32 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(13-09-2020, 05:03 AM)DctrRoss Wrote: it all sounds good, my biggest issue is it doesn't sound like a band playing in the same room.  They should all be in the backroom in tulsa.

Not sure I was trying to make it sound like it was live in a room,  in saying that I'm happy with the cohesion within.  Just wanted to have fun with the elements within and flavour it accordingly.  Some four years on,  I reckon my approach in mixing this again would be somewhat similar.  I too entrenched in my ways.  Thanks for taking a listen.
I guess I worded that wrong. I meant all the pieces sound really good, It may just be the panning that is bugging me a bit. It is minor though and I think it sounds really good as it is.
All Good DctrRoss,  I do like to throw things around abit.  I remember watching a show on Kevin Augunas and only having a 3 way switch on his desk for panning. Left, Centre and Right.  although I don't mix LCR,  I do like to explore my options and spread things out.  Big Grin
I'm an old man and started out mixing for vinyl and you would get yelled at by mastering engineers for crazy panning and it has probably stuck with me. There was one guy in LA that would whip out a microscope and show you physically how your mix was bad. He would be all " See what that low tom hit panned hard right did to my groove!!"
--------
Opinions are like Farts, everyone else's stinks
A typically good Dangerous mix. My only issue is what feels like a somewhat detached vocal from the ensemble. Great use of the brass on the drums with excellent accents to the song. Really well done. A good listen throughout.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(13-09-2020, 12:21 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 05:53 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Nice. My only issue is the vocal level as the ensemble builds. I feel the vocal should lead the song as it builds, not get swallowed by it. Tones and balance otherwise are excellent.
Geez Mitc,  Your digging deep to pull this one out.  I believe the vocal was one of the issues Mike commented on when he critique my mix in the patron podcast.  I did do a follow up mix but for whatever reason, I never posted it.  Anyways I found it and added it to the thread.  Thank you.
I didn't read Mike critique but I am happy to know we had the same observation. Everything else in the mix is excellent. Good definition and placement with a good sense of the song. All but the vocals...
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]