Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backroom In Tulsa
A great track oozing with texture and dynamics.  Plenty of scope with this one to make it one's own.  I'm really enjoying exploring and working with these energetic and spirited multi's.

Dave.Smile

Update Mix #2 Added.  Refinements based on Mikes August 2016 Cambridge MT Patrons Podcast.

.mp3    WesleyMorgan_BackroomInTulsa Dangerous.mp3 --  (Download: 8.77 MB)

.mp3    WesleyMorgan_BackroomInTulsa_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.77 MB)

Hey Dave,

I like your levels, but for some reason I'm not really digging the LCR mixing on this one. I use LCR from time to time, but this screams "stage image" or at least room image at me. I think I've listened to too much of Tom Waits' album "Mule Variations," haha. Your tones are nice, but I want more of a sonic landscape I guess. This is, of course, quite subjective. Overall it's a solid mix.

Cheers!
Draper
Sounds nice on my kindle. I find the choices you made with panning fit the song. However the left side might be a little full in comparison to the right side. It's a great mix overall for me.
Cheers
(20-03-2016, 12:26 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Hey Dave,

I like your levels, but for some reason I'm not really digging the LCR mixing on this one. I use LCR from time to time, but this screams "stage image" or at least room image at me. I think I've listened to too much of Tom Waits' album "Mule Variations," haha. Your tones are nice, but I want more of a sonic landscape I guess. This is, of course, quite subjective. Overall it's a solid mix.

Cheers!
Draper

Hey Thanks Man,

The further-est panning I did was 60%. In saying that I can hear what your saying. I tried to keep this one as dynamic as possible which may have left it sounding some what sparse. I might go back and play with some reverbs to try and assemble it within it's space.

Dave.
(20-03-2016, 12:51 AM)fran Wrote: Sounds nice on my kindle. I find the choices you made with panning fit the song. However the left side might be a little full in comparison to the right side. It's a great mix overall for me.
Cheers

Thanks for taking a listen fran,

I think you are right! Without opening up the project I think it may be the pedal steel that I'm pushing hard on the left. I just listened through headphones and yes, its noticeable. Thanks for your observation.

Nice. My only issue is the vocal level as the ensemble builds. I feel the vocal should lead the song as it builds, not get swallowed by it. Tones and balance otherwise are excellent.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
it all sounds good, my biggest issue is it doesn't sound like a band playing in the same room. They should all be in the backroom in tulsa.
--------
Opinions are like Farts, everyone else's stinks
(12-09-2020, 05:53 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Nice. My only issue is the vocal level as the ensemble builds. I feel the vocal should lead the song as it builds, not get swallowed by it. Tones and balance otherwise are excellent.
Geez Mitc,  Your digging deep to pull this one out.  I believe the vocal was one of the issues Mike commented on when he critique my mix in the patron podcast.  I did do a follow up mix but for whatever reason, I never posted it.  Anyways I found it and added it to the thread.  Thank you.
(13-09-2020, 05:03 AM)DctrRoss Wrote: it all sounds good, my biggest issue is it doesn't sound like a band playing in the same room.  They should all be in the backroom in tulsa.

Not sure I was trying to make it sound like it was live in a room,  in saying that I'm happy with the cohesion within.  Just wanted to have fun with the elements within and flavour it accordingly.  Some four years on,  I reckon my approach in mixing this again would be somewhat similar.  I too entrenched in my ways.  Thanks for taking a listen.
(13-09-2020, 12:32 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(13-09-2020, 05:03 AM)DctrRoss Wrote: it all sounds good, my biggest issue is it doesn't sound like a band playing in the same room.  They should all be in the backroom in tulsa.

Not sure I was trying to make it sound like it was live in a room,  in saying that I'm happy with the cohesion within.  Just wanted to have fun with the elements within and flavour it accordingly.  Some four years on,  I reckon my approach in mixing this again would be somewhat similar.  I too entrenched in my ways.  Thanks for taking a listen.
I guess I worded that wrong. I meant all the pieces sound really good, It may just be the panning that is bugging me a bit. It is minor though and I think it sounds really good as it is.
--------
Opinions are like Farts, everyone else's stinks