Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atrophy ala uLynch
It's a pleasure to mix a song you like Smile

After listening to a few mixes here to get the vibe, I decided this song called for lots of large spaces, a touch of grit in the vocals, dense crescendos and dramatic changes on the decrescendos, and some movement in the keys. I had trouble getting the vocals to sit right in the chorus sections. How'd I do?

Another trouble spot was getting the kick and snare to sit right in the denser choruses -- they kept disappearing. Five mixdowns later (one sidechained compressor, some subtractive EQ here, some added there, a bit of distortion, opening up the attack on the snare's compressor, etc, etc) and now the snare might be a touch hot. Too successful?

And that drum room track? The kick sounded awful, so I sidechained a multi-band compressor against the kick track and decimated a narrow band around 175hz. That helped, just not enough, and everything else I tried sounded worse. Compromise Dodgy

Tons of automation here: track levels, muting reverb sends, a long delay right *here* but not there.

Oh, and "atrophide"? Is that a British thing? Huh

.mp3    Atrophy_master2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.46 MB)

Whilst i love the sound of the vocals i think there's a little too much reverb on them making them sit too far back in the mix. There are some really awesome effects youve created with the vocals but the vocals are too buried to hear them.

I would also boost the overheads, hi-hats and ride. I'm loving the guitar sound though
As fHumble fHingaz said - "Did I critique your mix? Please pay it forward! Critique some else's mix (doesn't have to be mine). That's how this forum works!"

A list of my mixes can be found here: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/searc...fbcc5215a9
(29-03-2016, 10:36 PM)BenJ Wrote: Whilst i love the sound of the vocals i think there's a little too much reverb on them making them sit too far back in the mix. There are some really awesome effects youve created with the vocals but the vocals are too buried to hear them.

I would also boost the overheads, hi-hats and ride. I'm loving the guitar sound though

Thanks for the critique BenJ, and thank you for bringing me back to this mix. Listening now several weeks later, I'm finding myself agreeing with everything you said. Especially the part about the guitars Big Grin

So even though I did a ton of automation on several tracks, maybe more is called for. The vocals in the verses are buried, along with their effects. I may have focused too much on the choruses. I might mult the vocal track to get better control. And while the hat is prominent in places, it too disappears here and there. The ride track poses a particular problem, as it's made up mostly of loud crash cymbals on that side of the kit and very few ride hits. Maybe a more careful listen on my part, with some editing of the track would help.

Thanks!

- D