Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Rothko' mix by rodion
Hi everyone,

I've just started learning mixing and surfed into this great site. I use Logic Pro and I chose 'Rothko' as my first attempt on here. I'm curious to hear what you all think.

Cheers!

.mp3    Rothko_Rodion_V1_1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.38 MB)

Hi,

nice idea during the intro.

Your mix has one big problem: it drowns in reverb. Try to back it off a good dose (and probably eq the reverb a bit by reducing lows and highs) and you'll suddenly have a lot more clarity (and let it sound more like a professional mix). Apart from that this sounds good to me.

Cheers
Artbass
(24-04-2013, 03:06 PM)Artbass Wrote: Hi,

nice idea during the intro.

Your mix has one big problem: it drowns in reverb. Try to back it off a good dose (and probably eq the reverb a bit by reducing lows and highs) and you'll suddenly have a lot more clarity (and let it sound more like a professional mix). Apart from that this sounds good to me.

Cheers
Artbass

Hi, thanks for being my first responder. Smile
And thanks also for the tip. You were absolutely right on the button. I've toned down the verbs considerably and filtered out the hi's and low's and I believe it cleared up a lot. It was a problem of building reverb upon reverb till the point I didn't even notice the problem anymore.

I've listened to your mix as well. I think this intro begs for some tweaking as it's in my opinion somewhat long and boring as it was played. I think you can win something there in making it more interesting right away. Apart from that a well balanced mix I think. Great to be able to compare all these different versions!

Grtz!

.mp3    Rothko_Rodion_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.38 MB)

Hi Rodion.

I'm also agreeing with Artbass. Reverb is one of the most overused effects and it's one which completely dilutes the power of any mix when it's over used. In fact, any effect can make a mix worse when it becomes 'obvious'. The trick is not to make FX easy to notice. You'll find your mixes will be easier to balance and control dynamically when you begin your mix completely dry. I hope this helps a bit.
(24-04-2013, 08:19 PM)rodion Wrote: Hi, thanks for being my first responder. Smile
And thanks also for the tip. You were absolutely right on the button. I've toned down the verbs considerably and filtered out the hi's and low's and I believe it cleared up a lot. It was a problem of building reverb upon reverb till the point I didn't even notice the problem anymore.

Now that is a difference, isn't it Cool

This new version allows to listen to your mix more closely. Very interesting take. First of all I think you should be carefull with the overall level. Although I did not spot obvious clipping your mix sounds quite distorted. I tend to put the blame here on your mixbuscompression or limiter. Now this might be intended but it makes your mix fatiguing to listen to. There is also a lot going on in the lower midrange. I tried pulling out 2,5db at around 400hz and thought that it improved the overall clarity a bit. The same can be said about the super lows. I put a hipass (12db/octave) at 18hz and it seemed to help your mix. The kick does not need to be that low for this kind of music.

You have to judge that for yourself to see how far those things might contradict your intention, but as a listener I don't care about your intention if your mix fatigues my ears (especially if it is because of the mix and not the music!).

Quote:I've listened to your mix as well. I think this intro begs for some tweaking as it's in my opinion somewhat long and boring as it was played. I think you can win something there in making it more interesting right away. Apart from that a well balanced mix I think. Great to be able to compare all these different versions!

Thank you. You are right, it is great. Trying to comment on other peoples mixes is a great way to improve your own mixes by improving your perception, by the way Wink

I tend to disagree with you about the intro. To me this song is more folk than pop and the intro already has a nice twist to it, as the band enters the forth time the motive is played, reducing the intro to rather unusual 3 times. Although I think that the different treatments of this part of the song are very interesting, I don't think that they are necessary. This comes down to personal vision and aesthetics, I guess.
(25-04-2013, 09:13 AM)Artbass Wrote: Now that is a difference, isn't it Cool

This new version allows to listen to your mix more closely. Very interesting take. First of all I think you should be carefull with the overall level. Although I did not spot obvious clipping your mix sounds quite distorted. I tend to put the blame here on your mixbuscompression or limiter. Now this might be intended but it makes your mix fatiguing to listen to. There is also a lot going on in the lower midrange. I tried pulling out 2,5db at around 400hz and thought that it improved the overall clarity a bit. The same can be said about the super lows. I put a hipass (12db/octave) at 18hz and it seemed to help your mix. The kick does not need to be that low for this kind of music.

You have to judge that for yourself to see how far those things might contradict your intention, but as a listener I don't care about your intention if your mix fatigues my ears (especially if it is because of the mix and not the music!).

Thanks again. A difference indeed. Smile
I used a PSP Vintage Warmer on the stereo bus, which accounts for the levels. There's no actual clipping, but I see what you're saying. Trying to 'pre-master' your mix can be damaging to the overall mix if the levels aren't right yet. I'll upload a version without the PSP taking into consideration your eq and kick-tips.

Quote:Thank you. You are right, it is great. Trying to comment on other peoples mixes is a great way to improve your own mixes by improving your perception, by the way Wink

I tend to disagree with you about the intro. To me this song is more folk than pop and the intro already has a nice twist to it, as the band enters the forth time the motive is played, reducing the intro to rather unusual 3 times. Although I think that the different treatments of this part of the song are very interesting, I don't think that they are necessary. This comes down to personal vision and aesthetics, I guess.

Yes, I think that's a different take on the song. I definitely approached it more as a pop song. To me it has that poppy cheerfulness that makes it quite radio-friendly.
Here is my third and final attempt on this mix. Thanks Artbass for pointing out the way to improvement. Valuable lessons to a beginner.

.mp3    Rothko_Rodion_V3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.38 MB)

(24-04-2013, 11:06 PM)Robert Wrote: Hi Rodion.

I'm also agreeing with Artbass. Reverb is one of the most overused effects and it's one which completely dilutes the power of any mix when it's over used. In fact, any effect can make a mix worse when it becomes 'obvious'. The trick is not to make FX easy to notice. You'll find your mixes will be easier to balance and control dynamically when you begin your mix completely dry. I hope this helps a bit.

It definitely does, cheers. Seems I was overdoing it a bit. I think it cleared up now. On to the next one. Smile
The intro fx doesnt fit the song vibe in my opinion.

The balances are ok.

The vocal feels disconnected from the band, it needs some ambience/delays/reverb, etc to glue it more with the band.

The acoustic guitars lacks body in the low mid region. The electric guitars could have more body too.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.