Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alone With You Mixed by Dcp
This track was actually fairly well recorded, there were some clicks left unchecked from editing, but overall the raw tracks had no big surprises.

Feel free to leave you comments and critiques, cheers Smile

Update: 2 New masters up with improved snare and vocal delay.

.mp3    Alone With You Master 1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.07 MB)

.mp3    Alone With You Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.01 MB)

.mp3    Alone With You Master 3.mp3 --  (Download: 10.13 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Pretty balanced and coherent sound to my ears. Well done.

Some minor issues:

Toms around 2:00 have a weird disco effect. It’s not too audible, but something there bothers me a bit. They don’t sound as a part of wooden kit now. Itmay be a phase issue or something.

Around 3:30 the delay effect in vox distracts slightly the focous from the vox. At least with headphones. Maybe the delay feels too separate from the main vox. ALmost like background vox.
Thanks Olli, I did gate the toms and use a limiter to make them punchier sounding in the mix, that's probably what you're hearing. The delay 3:30 I'll most likely just mute or automate down the level there.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
The snare is really thin like out of phase ,I agree the delay don't suit and way too much
Updated mix and master in the original thread

Like it, snare is better now, and it was good idea to automate some of those vox delays.
Nice balance, abit more automation on vocal delay imo would be nice in 1st verse, still sounds.
So it's been awhile since I last touched this track, so I decided to give it another go and after a few hours of doing a basic mix this is what I came up with. I still need to do some automation to get everything just right but here is the basic mix with a little """""""""mastering"""""""""" to get it up to a peak of -17.9 momentary LUFS

Cheers,
Dcp

.mp3    Alone With You Redux Basic Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.14 MB)

Hi Dcp,
Sorry I Missed your mixes .
Having a listen to all mixes I think version 2 is my favourite as has a more warmth and solid bottom end on my monitors.
A touch less low end on the vocals around 150hz area and a more presence around 7k.The snare is jumping out about 3-4db around the 500-1k area ,Not sure ,maybe some dynamic eq around that area to tame some transients in that area ? some air and reverb on the tail would sound awesome.

Well Done

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(12-09-2016, 12:36 PM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dcp,
Sorry I Missed your mixes .
Having a listen to all mixes I think version 2 is my favourite as has a more warmth and solid bottom end on my monitors.
A touch less low end on the vocals around 150hz area and a more presence around 7k.The snare is jumping out about 3-4db around the 500-1k area ,Not sure ,maybe some dynamic eq around that area to tame some transients in that area ? some air and reverb on the tail would sound awesome.

Hi Don, no worries about missing these mixes Big Grin. The new mix and master I uploaded was actually a ground up mix because in the process of transferring and cleaning up all my files to a new external drive, I deleted most of my old project files and mix renders I wasn't using. I had to redownload the multitrack for this and start from the ground up.

When you make your points are you talking about the Redux mix or the second mix I did? With my most recent mixes I'm trying not to use processing so much as it seems to only get under the skin of a certain member of the community who seems to get alot of ear fatigue and complain about micro and macro dynamics not being present in mixes on the site.

I'll definatly try the dynamic EQ on the vocals (The TDR Nova is really proving to be an awesome plugin as of late espescially on getting the bass and kick to sit in the mix properly in the mix and for using on the master buss for some small EQ tweaks). After listening on my phone's built in speaker I really can't hear the snare popping up to much but hauling it back in the mix and using some tape saturation to smooth it out will probably work as well.

Thanks for the comments and cheers,
Dcp