Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fredy V - Not Alone
3/2/2016

I worked long and hard on this trying to get all the parts just right and it was not always easy. The piano was a bit of a trick and getting the right tail on the snare reverb took some work as well. I also made an early judgement on how to end the song and I like the way it worked out. the background vocals were a treat as well as the lead vox, although they did get a bit honky in places.

I look forward to comments, thoughts and ideas.

.mp3    Fredy V - Not Alone.mp3 --  (Download: 15.27 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Sounds fantastic on my laptop! I'll let you know more when I'm in my critical listening environment!

Draper
(02-03-2016, 09:59 PM)loweche6 Wrote: Sounds fantastic on my laptop! I'll let you know more when I'm in my critical listening environment!

Draper

Please do. Let me know how it sounds in your favorite head phones too?
BTW, what does your critical listening environment consist of, if I may ask?

Thanks. Smile
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Mixinthecloud....further our Turquaz discussion: definitely one of us has an issue with our listening environment. Here, this mix sounds really hyped in the top end (I would say 4-5ooo and up) with no mids. Other than that, the mix is nicely balanced. I am not a fan of the phased guitar intro but I like the seventies fade. I was going to do that, but went with the quick fade at the end. There are a couple pops on the bass guitar you missed. One in the intro and one around 3:10. That might only bother me because I'm a bass player.
(07-03-2016, 01:55 AM)mingus Wrote: Mixinthecloud....further our Turquaz discussion: definitely one of us has an issue with our listening environment. Here, this mix sounds really hyped in the top end (I would say 4-5ooo and up) with no mids. Other than that, the mix is nicely balanced. I am not a fan of the phased guitar intro but I like the seventies fade. I was going to do that, but went with the quick fade at the end. There are a couple pops on the bass guitar you missed. One in the intro and one around 3:10. That might only bother me because I'm a bass player.

Charlie,
Can I ask if you get the same impression of this mix if you listen in headphones? I vet my mixes on all kinds of playback systems, from ear buds to car speakers and RORs and I would not characterize it as you have on any of them. As for the bass guitar, I will defer to you on that.

If you think this is top heavy and I think your is top light, the logical conclusion of that is you have too much top end in the Adams and I have too little in my killer Dells! Would you concur?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(07-03-2016, 02:49 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(07-03-2016, 01:55 AM)mingus Wrote: Mixinthecloud....further our Turquaz discussion: definitely one of us has an issue with our listening environment. Here, this mix sounds really hyped in the top end (I would say 4-5ooo and up) with no mids. Other than that, the mix is nicely balanced. I am not a fan of the phased guitar intro but I like the seventies fade. I was going to do that, but went with the quick fade at the end. There are a couple pops on the bass guitar you missed. One in the intro and one around 3:10. That might only bother me because I'm a bass player.

Charlie,
Can I ask if you get the same impression of this mix if you listen in headphones? I vet my mixes on all kinds of playback systems, from ear buds to car speakers and RORs and I would not characterize it as you have on any of them. As for the bass guitar, I will defer to you on that.

If you think this is top heavy and I think your is top light, the logical conclusion of that is you have too much top end in the Adams and I have too little in my killer Dells! Would you concur?
That is the likely conclusion. Although I was listening on the Sony 7520. I actually hope there is a 'problem' I can adjust here because it might explain some of the 'meh' responses to my mixes.
It sounds a bit scooped on my system. I could get a little more mids in general. Your highs do seem a little accentuated, but I've boosted my high end to help me compensate and make sure my mixes aren't too bright. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

You balance is nice, but I could get more warmth (as I said earlier).

Overall, nice work.

Draper
(07-03-2016, 04:57 AM)loweche6 Wrote: It sounds a bit scooped on my system. I could get a little more mids in general. Your highs do seem a little accentuated, but I've boosted my high end to help me compensate and make sure my mixes aren't too bright. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

You balance is nice, but I could get more warmth (as I said earlier).

Overall, nice work.

Draper

I may have to revisit this mix as it is lacking warmth. I think I over compensated for my monitors on this one.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
3-12-2016

After going back and forth with some of the esteemed colleagues here, I had to concur that my mix of this song did lack some warmth or a full bottom end. So here, I have addressed it.

Please let me know what you think.

.mp3    Fredy V - Not Alone.mp3 --  (Download: 15.32 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(12-03-2016, 04:08 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: 3-12-2016

After going back and forth with some of the esteemed colleagues here, I had to concur that my mix of this song did lack some warmth or a full bottom end. So here, I have addressed it.

Please let me know what you think.

FANTASTIC!