Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
first post-love some feedback
Hi all, I just found this great place and would love some feedback on this mix. Did in a couple of hours with another hour or so the next day after listening to other mixes here. Pretty slammed, but it's soooo hard to resist that. Compression only on the ldvox and snare. fabfilter eq on everything else.

.m4a    turkuaz 1644 20160228.m4a --  (Download: 10.02 MB)

I'm not sure what I'm hearing but it sounds like there is no high end in your mix at all, like someone put a low-pass on everything above 1K. That can't be right.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey, thanks for the post and for listening. Is this an exaggeration or are you describing a technical problem in your playback? 1k is pretty low for it not to be a technical issue. I'm pretty literal so 'low-pass on everything above 1k' sounds like there are fingers in your ears. Not trying to sound facetious at all, just asking for a clarification.
(05-03-2016, 07:57 AM)mingus Wrote: Hey, thanks for the post and for listening. Is this an exaggeration or are you describing a technical problem in your playback? 1k is pretty low for it not to be a technical issue. I'm pretty literal so 'low-pass on everything above 1k' sounds like there are fingers in your ears. Not trying to sound facetious at all, just asking for a clarification.

Saw your bio, so I know you know your stuff. I'm guessing you just meant to say the mix needs to be brighter. I'll have another go in a few days.
(05-03-2016, 08:00 AM)mingus Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 07:57 AM)mingus Wrote: Hey, thanks for the post and for listening. Is this an exaggeration or are you describing a technical problem in your playback? 1k is pretty low for it not to be a technical issue. I'm pretty literal so 'low-pass on everything above 1k' sounds like there are fingers in your ears. Not trying to sound facetious at all, just asking for a clarification.

Saw your bio, so I know you know your stuff. I'm guessing you just meant to say the mix needs to be brighter. I'll have another go in a few days.

Sorry. I was not trying to be cryptic, but I was try to express my opinion that there seemed to be a pretty extreme lack of high end in your mix from 1k and above. It makes me wonder what either your or I are using for playback. It is hard to say which end this could be on. Do other mixes of this song sound the same as yours in your playback?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
The only cuts in my upper end are on the backing vocs and the keyboard amp and those start up around 5k. I have Nebula fenix mix DR, and ozone 5 on the mix bus. Ozone has a roll-off at 16k with a Q of 24. I am listening on Adam a7 and Sony 7520 s. Being a bass player camped out next to the kit for so many years, I DO have an extreme hatred of crash cymbals, though. Again, I appreciate your time and thoughts.
(06-03-2016, 03:36 AM)mingus Wrote: The only cuts in my upper end are on the backing vocs and the keyboard amp and those start up around 5k. I have Nebula fenix mix DR, and ozone 5 on the mix bus. Ozone has a roll-off at 16k with a Q of 24. I am listening on Adam a7 and Sony 7520 s. Being a bass player camped out next to the kit for so many years, I DO have an extreme hatred of crash cymbals, though. Again, I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Your notes made me laugh. The being a bass player comment about crash cymbals is priceless. It sounds like your rig is excellent and Adam A7s are not to be sneezed at. I am at a loss to understand what I am hearing then in your mix. Even the intro voice on my system has a preponderance of low end on it. BTW I am listening back on Dell 2.1 desktop speakers! Certainly those do not have a lot of low end even with the mini sub. I don't like to admit I am mixing and mastering on desktop speakers. It is embarrassing. However, I am getting really good, even surprisingly good translation from system to system with mostly too much low end in my mixes because of lack thereof in my playback system. That's why stating your mixes as being bottom heavy (say 50 to 150 or 200) is odd considering your great monitors.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(07-03-2016, 02:34 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(06-03-2016, 03:36 AM)mingus Wrote: The only cuts in my upper end are on the backing vocs and the keyboard amp and those start up around 5k. I have Nebula fenix mix DR, and ozone 5 on the mix bus. Ozone has a roll-off at 16k with a Q of 24. I am listening on Adam a7 and Sony 7520 s. Being a bass player camped out next to the kit for so many years, I DO have an extreme hatred of crash cymbals, though. Again, I appreciate your time and thoughts.

Your notes made me laugh. The being a bass player comment about crash cymbals is priceless. It sounds like your rig is excellent and Adam A7s are not to be sneezed at. I am at a loss to understand what I am hearing then in your mix. Even the intro voice on my system has a preponderance of low end on it. BTW I am listening back on Dell 2.1 desktop speakers! Certainly those do not have a lot of low end even with the mini sub. I don't like to admit I am mixing and mastering on desktop speakers. It is embarrassing. However, I am getting really good, even surprisingly good translation from system to system with mostly too much low end in my mixes because of lack thereof in my playback system. That's why stating your mixes as being bottom heavy (say 50 to 150 or 200) is odd considering your great monitors.
Well, bottom-heavy and low-passed at 1k are quite a bit different. The Adams do not have much bottom so it is entirely possible that I am over-compensating. Wouldn't be the first male creature to do that! I am moving this weekend, so I will leave any room changes to the new room. It is a bit bigger than this one. I have been meaning to re-cover my home-made rockwool treatments as well. Looking forward to figuring this out.
And, again, I thank you very much for your feedback!
(07-03-2016, 03:41 PM)mingus Wrote:
(07-03-2016, 02:34 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

Well, bottom-heavy and low-passed at 1k are quite a bit different. The Adams do not have much bottom so it is entirely possible that I am over-compensating. Wouldn't be the first male creature to do that! I am moving this weekend, so I will leave any room changes to the new room. It is a bit bigger than this one. I have been meaning to re-cover my home-made rockwool treatments as well. Looking forward to figuring this out.
And, again, I thank you very much for your feedback!

Good luck with your move and the new room. I've got a friend with a CNC router I'm hoping to get to help me build some quadratic diffusers for behind me in my room.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]