Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C U Next Time - CLA mix by Olli H
Great song, great performance. The band should have used a bit better studio to record this.

For some reason it came to my mind to use Chris Lord-Alge’s punk mix as a reference for this song. I chose Green Day’s ”American Idiot”. I didn’t try to mimic the sound as such, because the instrumentation and arrangement were a bit different. I used it as reference for balance, energy levels, harshnes, silkyness etc.. So, as a sort of ear referesher.

Needles to say that I was left far behind. But still I think I learned quite a bit from this rehearsal.

EDIT: new version with small adjustments to kick and bass

.mp3    cu-next-time-2016-02-27-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.59 MB)

.mp3    cu-next-time-2016-02-29-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.59 MB)

Sounds like a fine mix to me. Maybe a little more punch on the kick and bringing out a few of the drum fills, but the balance, vocals etc all sounded nicely balanced.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Pretty good sounding mix.I think the bass is a bit over powering and a little muddy.
Hello Oli

I agree with takka. The bass is too loud, maybe some more compression or just eq to lower lows on it would work because in the areas were the bass plays low registers the song sounds full and on your face.. but when it thins out the mix looses it and it sounds hollow.

*I like your snare
*I'm not a big fan of the kick but that's a matter of taste. I feel it's a bit too upfront.
*Good balance
*at 1:10 I don't hear the bass drop.

What's with the bassdrop?, is it supposed to go there?? or am I missing something? cause several mixes don't have it ..

THanks for all comments. I made some small adjustments (in the first post). I think it's more defined now.