Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raft Monk - Tiring Mixed by Ak3r
So here's my mix of this song. I really have a hate/love relationship with this one...It was really challenging to mix...In fact i gave up for some time and then came back again....Finally this is what i came up with...I'd reaaaally really apreciate your feedback on this one guys, more than ever, as it's been really challenging mix...and ugh!! any help figuring out how da fuck to mix this will be greatly appreciated Smile

.mp3    TIRING MIX 2 V4 MASTER 3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

Hi there !

The drums are disturbing too much, mainly because of the kick drum which has way too much attack and seems to be in front of everything else. The overheads are almost inexistent, is that the way you like them ?

The 3D placement of the strings changes a lot through the song : sometimes behind everything, sometimes in your face... Was it on purpose ?

Lol was it your voice at the end ? Nice idea Wink

So in my humble opinion, your mix lacks a lot of balance in the volumes of each track. Maybe you could just place all faders down to zero, then replace them to see if you can get some consistent volume everywhere.

Keep it up Smile
(10-05-2016, 09:51 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi there !

The drums are disturbing too much, mainly because of the kick drum which has way too much attack and seems to be in front of everything else. The overheads are almost inexistent, is that the way you like them ?

The 3D placement of the strings changes a lot through the song : sometimes behind everything, sometimes in your face... Was it on purpose ?

Lol was it your voice at the end ? Nice idea Wink

So in my humble opinion, your mix lacks a lot of balance in the volumes of each track. Maybe you could just place all faders down to zero, then replace them to see if you can get some consistent volume everywhere.

Keep it up Smile

Hey there Smile Thanks a lot for your comment. So all that u point is like that obviously. I could have turned down a db or two the kick drum, but just in same places...and yes, the strings are not static. There's a lot of automation on and strings is one of the things that's automated. I didnt wanted a static mix, with all faders stuck in a place and keepin like that for all the song...For me i didnt see that working with this song, needed to be more dinamic, create tension and excitment and keep the listener engaged during all the song listening to all the different things that are goin on not just listening the strings on the left at 0db and forgetting about them as they keep there all the song. On the other hand there's a lot of things goin on but not all of them have the same importance all the time, so automating and giving more presence to those moments was also a goal, that's why u might percieve as the string changing, simply because it was my interpretation of the dinamic of the instrument, sometimes playing more "piano" sometimes playing "fortissimo"...You get the idea.

The voice wasnt me hehe ^,^ยก but as i was finishng mixing i thought that would fit into the theme of the song so...i gave it a try.

So after listening to your mix i think the main difference here is that my mix goes in a completly different direction than yours. I mixed it quite a lot like if it was a metal track, giving more importance to guitars/drums and leaving the strings as filling and highlights at some points. If you've ever listened to Ministry that's more or less what came to my mind.

Thanks a lot for your comment, i'll keep in mind all your suggestions Wink !